Friday, June 3, 2011

An Inspirational Friend

A few weeks ago, I had lunch with a friend that I had not talked to in a little while. She is amazing and I want to be like her when I grow up. Beth can do anything, no mountain is too small for her. She does not know it, but she has been my inspiration many times!

We had lunch here, at this little farmstead. Beth was introduced to the chickens, including Hoppy, the ducks, and Miss Celie was brought out to meet Beth also. She met Clover, the Bunny babies and parents, the barn cats, and the dogs that call this place home.

We had so much fun that day! We laughed and talked, we had a lot of catching up to do. Beth told me that she was going to call the newspaper and tell them about this place, my cookbook, and the life that Kevin and I have made here. I laughed, because I don't think that I am doing anything that is so special that someone else couldn't do the same things.

Beth kept her word. I have just gotten off of the phone with the local newspaper, and they want to do a human interest story on me! I am amazed, excited, and don't have a clue what I will say!

Truthfully, I don't do this by myself, Kevin helps a lot. We work together on this and all projects. Also, what we do is not to bring attention to us, these are decisions that were made a few years ago, and now we are seeing so many things come to pass.

It does seem like there is always some kind of scare where our food is concerned, and to be quite truthful, the quality is not always the best anyway. We were tired of that. I grew up in the country, and the memory of the food stayed with me. Eggs that had golden yolks, tomatoes that tasted like tomatoes, not cardboard, and fresh vegetables that were bright colorful, and tasted heavenly, were the foods that my Mama served. I wanted that again. These were some of the thoughts that pulled my heart back here, and Kevin to a life that he had never had the opportunity to live. We made the decision to do this, and worked until we achieved the goals that we have set for ourselves, and continue working for goals that haven't been met.

Don't get me wrong, I am certainly not complaining. I do hope that someone will read the newspaper story, and realize that they can achieve their dreams if they set their mind to it. After all, the adventures that we find in country living were once a dream for us. I remember so many nights that we went to sleep talking about this life. I always told Kevin that I wanted a goat, he laughed at me. And now, some of our dreams have come true. He does not laugh anymore when I tell him that I want to do something, he has learned not to!

However we do not simply stop here, and think that we have completely achieved our dreams, we continue to plan, check our progress, set goals, and analyze where we are, and examine what we need to adjust. We have made mistakes, and try to learn from those mistakes. We still have far to go, there is so much to learn, even now. I guess that we will never feel as if we have gotten to a place where we can just sit back and relax now. If that happens, it will be time to pursue another major life changing project!

I have never wanted to be in a place where I can't grow and learn, and I challenge myself constantly. An important challenge in my life was writing the cookbook of my Gran's recipes. It is important that we keep our family histories alive for ourselves, and generations to come. I started the book with that intention. Now that Gran is gone, I can take out the book, look through the recipes, and in my memory, I hear her voice. We worked on that book for so long, and it gave me the opportunity to spend time with her, and ask her so many questions. Sadly, I think of questions that I did not think to ask at that time. But I guess that you can't remember to ask every question.

That book was hard work, and represents a part of the family history that needed to be kept alive, not just for me, but for my child, siblings, cousins, their children, each member of extended family, and generations to come. I do hope that someone will see it and say "I could do that, I need to keep my family history alive too". Once it is gone, it is history that you will never be able to get back, it is lost forever.

This newspaper article is an opportunity, I may not have another one like that! This is a gift that Beth has given me. Thank you dear friend, you have made me a better person just because I have had the opportunity to know and work with you. You have inspired and pushed me so many times. Thank you again Beth.
Okay, so now for the tooting my horn part! Woo Hoo, the newspaper man is coming to my home and doing an article about the life Kevin and I have here! Woo Hoo! Toot Toot!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting! Please leave me a comment, I would love to have a record of your visit! Anonymous comments will not be published!