Wednesday, June 15, 2011

New Year's Resolutions

Yesterday, I pulled my New Year's Resolutions List out. I was pleased to see the progress that been made. It was a good feeling to be able to check off items that had been completed. There were books on the list that could be checked off, the garden had been planned, planted and is now being harvested, we chose not to acquire a new breed of chickens, some projects here had been completed, and then there was the category without checks. Not a single check was there.

The category was for my paintings. I have not completed a single painting this year. Of course that does not include the furniture that I have painted. Or does that count? No, I know that it doesn't, just looking for an excuse here. Looking for a reason to say that I have done something. In truth, there are excuses that I could use, I am busy here first of all. But a Resolution list is not about excuses, it is about setting goals, and getting them done in a year's time.

Now I am asking myself, what if I do not meet that goal, could I do half of it? And I am changing my resolution to accomplish half of that goal, and posting it here to keep me motivated! 6 completed paintings before the end of the year, completed, not just started and not finished for whatever reason. 6 paintings that I would show, not the ones that I put in the closet, they don't count. I know when I make that list every year, that every single item on that list will not be completed. Some items will get changed from the original plan, some will be completed early, some will hang on to the last minute, and there is one item that gets carried over every year. Not telling how many times! Completing that afghan! Why is that so hard?

With the knowledge that I can't even think about that afghan right now, I will continue to work on the list, complete as much as I can, and know that the afghan will probably get carried over again next year.

How about you? Do you have a list that you haven't completed? If so pull it out now and have a look. What do you still have time to complete? If you haven't made a list, then start one now. Make a list of the things that you want to accomplish before the end of the year, and see how many of those things you can check off the list. You will be surprised what you can accomplish! There is a sense of satisfaction in completing a task for me. That list is not for anyone but myself, it is a reminder of what I want to do, and a positive reminder of what I can do! Completed tasks are motivation for me! Now where did I put that paint brush?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting! Please leave me a comment, I would love to have a record of your visit! Anonymous comments will not be published!