Monday, October 3, 2011

An Amazing Place

This was one of those times that I realize that I am lucky enough to live in an amazing place! There are amazing people that live here too!
My daughter put together a yard/bake sale, held this past Saturday. The proceeds benefit The Alzheimer's Association. She had her goal set, which she surpassed, and did all of the promotion of the upcoming sale. The ladies of Daddy's church contributed baked goods, and other friends and family of ours donated goods to sell. We were amazed and moved to tears more than once. The local volunteer fire department is selling house numbers and donating the money to The Alzheimer's Association too.
Words are not adequate to express how I feel after seeing the support and love that was offered during this sale. This is a disease that needs to be stopped! Every 69 seconds, someone is diagnosed with this disease. There are currently over 200,000 people in the state of Georgia with this disease! Yes, over 200,000 in the state of Georgia alone. That is an overwhelming number!
As I said, words are not adequate, but if you are one of those people that helped in any way, we say "Thank you" and we want you to know that it comes from our hearts. Thank you for helping to put an end to the monster called Alzheimer's, that steals lives from people. Your love and support have been appreciated, and the ways that you have expressed that love and support have touched us in ways that I can't begin to describe.
There were many people that stopped to tell us their personal stories. The stories that are similar to ours, and just as painful. As I have said, if this demon had an address, I would gather an army, and we would go there, and this disease would never take another life. My heart goes out to each person that shared their story, your pain was obvious. I wish that we did not have to share this common bond. I am glad that I am able to share with people that love and care for us, your support means more than you will know. Thank you, thank you, thank you, it isn't enough to say that, but all that I can do at the moment.
There were people that purchased items and gave more than the value of the item. We all tried to do that! The cause was one that we supported, and giving more felt like the right thing to do.
This has reminded me that I could have chosen to live in another place, but I am here. The place where I grew up. I would not be anywhere else in the world!

2 comments:

  1. What a wonderful way to raise money for Alzheimer's! My mom was just diagnosed in the last several months, so this is a cause dear to my heart. Sounds like a lot of generous people live in your area.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Betsy, a lot of people here love my Daddy! My thoughts and prayers are with you, your family and your Mom.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting! Please leave me a comment, I would love to have a record of your visit! Anonymous comments will not be published!