Thursday, October 13, 2011

Dining Room Table and Chairs

Some time ago I found this table and chairs at a thrift shop. The chairs and table did not match, as they are two different styles, but I did not care. This set was in need of some serious love.
The table and chairs sat for awhile, waiting for their transformation, while I tried to decide how and what to do. Finally, inspiration hit, and the table and chairs would get the love that they deserved. Kevin and I sanded and refinished the top of the table. I painted the legs and apron of the table, and painted and recovered the chair seats. The table and chairs were lightly distressed, stained, and then waxed.
It took me awhile to make the decision to paint this table and chairs, I was afraid that after a couple of years, I would walk in the dining room and ask myself why I did this. That could still happen, but if it does, I don't have that much invested in the set. Selling the set would be a guilt free sale. Once I made the decision to go through with it, I knew that I had to have a dining room cabinet that I could paint without guilt. My hutch was not an option, there was no way I was painting that piece! Finally found one that could be painted without the guilt. Again, if I get tired of this cabinet, it will be a guilt free sale. Pictures of the cabinet will come later.
I have always been hesitant to paint furniture, fearing that I will decide that I hate it and have to strip it. Hoping that I don't regret this decision, but for now I am pleased with the outcome.
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

  1. Hi Mellie! Thanks for your visit and your kind comments. Your table and chairs look fabulous. I understand your hesitancy in painting perfectly good furniture, and there are certain pieces that I would never paint. But yours looks fresh and updated, so that was a good decision. I'm going to put you on my blogroll because people would like to see this and your upcoming projects.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jane, Thank you so very much!!! I appreciate you for adding me to your blogroll, I consider that a big compliment!! You made my day!! Thank you again!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did an amazing job on the table and chairs! They have a very classic look to them. I would put them in my dining room in a second! Looking forward to seeing the cabinet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Betsy! It took me awhile to decide, but I am glad that I did it!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting! Please leave me a comment, I would love to have a record of your visit! Anonymous comments will not be published!