Monday, November 7, 2011

Cotton Fields

Posted by Picasa
Cotton fields are a common sight in my neck of the woods, this one is a few steps from my back door. No matter how many times I have seen the cotton grow and mature, I am always amazed to see the cotton bolls that have formed from the lovely pink flowers.
The day that cotton is harvested is a fragrant day. The air is perfumed with an indescribable scent. If only the smell could be bottled. It is a mixture of earth, cotton, and fall in south Georgia. Perhaps the smell holds pleasant memories, and that is part of the reason it appeals to me so much. Whatever the reason, I inhale the fragrance deeply, hoping to keep the smell firmly etched in my memory.
The season is short this year, and quickly coming to an end. The cotton is being harvested and the stalks cut. The fields will be brown and dead for a time, and then one day I will walk outside and the smell of freshly turned soil will greet my senses, reminding me of the delights that await my senses in the months to come.

4 comments:

  1. The cotton is being harvested in the fields near us, too! It make me want to go out into the fields and scoop up what is left behind by the machines. When I was a little girl, I picked cotton a few days for my grandparents. That was when you had to do it by hand. It was hard work, but I made some money to spend at the fair.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jane, it makes me want to scoop up the remains too!! There is less of it left now with the newer pickers, especially after scrapping. I never picked cotton by hand, but I do remember the first cotton picker that Daddy owned, had to be placed on top of the tractor, the tractor drove backwards when the cottonpicker was on top of it. Haven't seen one like that in years!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is really neat! I've just read a few books that talked about cotton crops and I thought it was a typo when it read cotton bolls. But then I figured out they weren't talking about cotton balls like we buy in the store. I guess you are never to old to learn something new. Now do you card cotton like sheep wool to clean and stretch the fibers? I'd really like to hear the process from planting to fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to admit that I dont know enough about what happens after the cotton is carried to the gin. I will have to find out the answer to your question Domestic Goddess.
    Daddy farmed up until a few years ago, he picked the cotton and carried it to the gin. The cotton was seperated from the seed and the seed was given to cattle during the winter. The cotton was baled and stored in a warehouse until it was sold. But I will find out for you!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting! Please leave me a comment, I would love to have a record of your visit! Anonymous comments will not be published!