Friday, January 27, 2012

Meet Perdita



When we began keeping chickens, I resisted the urge to name each one. That didn’t last long; my insatiable desire to name things took over. Perdita, Desdemona and Birdie are my Americaunas.
Birdie is the Head Hen. Desdemona lives in her own little world and gives new meaning to the term ‘bird brain”. Perdita is a very social creature and chooses to communicate with me as I enter the chicken pen.





Perdita flies to the top of the roost so that she can get closer to me. Perdita clucks and makes chicken noises in an attempt to communicate with me. She expects me to pause and gets close to me, inspecting my clothing and turning her head sideways to get a closer look.
What is Perdita trying to tell me? Could she be tattling on the other girls, and sharing their secrets? Is she requesting more fresh foods, oatmeal and cornbread, and less chicken feed? Is she requesting a TV or perhaps she feels the need to “surf the net”? Does she think that a designer chicken coop would make her happier and give her the ability to lay more eggs? Until the ability to speak chicken has been learned, her sounds will remain a mystery, and my imagination has the opportunity to take over.






Those are interesting thoughts, however I fear that she has heard of the fame that Clover and Atticus enjoy, and feels that she has that certain star quality too. Perdita feels that she is a lovely specimen of chickenhood and deserves to have her own fan club. She wants fan mail and there is an adoring public waiting for her.


Posted by Picasa


There it is, the truth, Perdita’s motives have been revealed. Perdita wants to be famous. Time will tell if Perdita achieves her dreams or if she will end up being a tragedy on the road to stardom, a hopeful starlet that falls by the wayside forgotten, by the public. If that happens, then hopefully Perdita will remember that she has chicken sisters at home, waiting for her, and the chicken keeper that provides her with warm oatmeal on cold mornings.
Joining Farmgirl Friday at Dandelion House

8 comments:

  1. How fun! When we lived in TN our neighbor had chickens, roosters and goats. It was always fun to see them and we loved the fresh eggs our neighbors generously shared with us!

    Thanks for visiting my blog. Hope to see you again soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Penny! Glad that you stopped by, hope to see you again too!!

      Delete
  2. Perdita is certainly a budding starlet! What a lovely lady she is. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you edenhills!! She has high hopes! LOL!!

      Delete
  3. Perdita looks pretty enough to be a starlet. What a fun post to read. I like all of your animal friends. They're cute beyond words. Thanks for linking up to Farmgirl Friday and sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perdita is lovely... but she'll has some stiff competition with The Cottage Hens... One of our girls Liza is also a rising star in the world of chicken starlet's'. Hey, maybe we should do a calender of our feathered starlet's? It's something I've been thinking about!thanks so much for sharing with the Farmgirls!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A calendar sounds like a wonderful idea! LOL!!

      Delete

Thank you for visiting! Please leave me a comment, I would love to have a record of your visit! Anonymous comments will not be published!