Friday, February 17, 2012

Cheesy Bacon Corn Muffins

These muffins are a favorite of ours. Leftovers are warmed up for breakfast the next morning for a quick grab and go breakfast.
This recipe is so easy adjust the ingredients to suit your tastes. You will need self rising corn meal, flour, buttermilk, an egg, melted butter, bacon, and grated cheese.
Stir together the corn meal and flour. My preference is white corn meal, and that is what is being used here. If you prefer yellow corn meal that is fine too.


I am using a duck egg. Chicken eggs can be substituted.



Lightly beat the egg with a fork. Add the egg and buttermilk to the cornmeal. Stir until all of the ingredients are wet. Add the melted butter.


Stir this just a little bit and add the cheese. My preference is a cheese mixture. Admittedly, I was short on time, and bought the bag that was already shredded. This bag had cheddar and jack cheeses in it. Any variety of cheeses could be used. Sometimes pepper jack is used for an extra kick!

Add the cooked and crumbled bacon and stir until all ingredients are wet. Spoon into greased muffin tins and bake.



We like this with homemade potato soup.
Posted by Picasa
Cheesy Bacon Corn Muffins
2 cups self rising cornmeal
1 tablespoon plain flour
1 1/2 cups buttermilk
1 large egg
1/4 cup melted butter or margarine
1 cup shredded cheese
5 or 6 slices cooked and crumbled bacon
Stir together the cornmeal and flour. Lightly beat the egg with a fork, add the egg and buttermilk to the meal mixture. Stir until everything is wet and add the melted butter. Stir and add the shredded cheese and crumbled bacon, stirring just until everything is wet.
Spoon into greased muffin tins and bake in a 425 degree oven for about 20 minutes, or until the tops are golden brown. Serve warm. Makes 12 corn muffins.
Joining Dandelion House for Farmgirl Friday.

and White Wolf Summit for Farmgirl Friday

Miz Helen's Country Cottage Full Plate Thursday

8 comments:

  1. I awarded you a Versatile blogger award...please stop by and check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your Corn Muffins would be a great addition to any meal or a meal by itself. They look delicious! Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and have a fabulous week.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  3. These muffins look delicious, and how could they not be with butter, cheese, and bacon! I've never eaten a duck egg. Does it taste any different from a chicken egg?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jane, they produce richer and moister baked goods. I would not scramble them becuase they do have a stronger taste. I have given them to the other animals when I had too many and did not want to waste them. Some french bakeries use duck eggs for the superior quality of baked goods. If someone did not know that duck eggs were used in the baked goods, they would just think that it was good. There is not a "ducky" taste, if you know what I mean! I always tell someone what I used because some people are offended. If they only knew what they were eating when they eat out, my duck eggs in baked goods would look pretty good!!!

      Delete
  4. oh my goodness--this is all my favorite foods--cornbread, bacon and cheese--Yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine too! I am making tham again this weekend, they don't last long.

      Delete

Thank you for visiting! Please leave me a comment, I would love to have a record of your visit! Anonymous comments will not be published!