Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Flea Meds and Atticus

Posted by Picasa

Springtime ushers in a time of year that pet owner’s dread, flea season. Atticus dreads this season too. This means that he will need a treatment every month to prevent fleas. This is a dramatic event for Atticus and a traumatic event for me. It is almost as much fun as taking Atticus to the vet.
The moment that Kevin comes home with the white bag, Atticus knows. Eyeing the white bag, he takes a deep breath, hunkers down, and runs low to the ground, in search of a hiding place. He will quickly forget about the bag and walk out into the open if we are lucky. That is rare, usually by the next day he has forgotten about the white bag. Naturally, he will wait until Kevin is not here and this job must be done alone.
Experience has taught me that proper attire is important. Thick jeans, a long sleeved shirt and running shoes are required; something loose enough to run in, but snug enough that there is no extra material for Atticus’ claws to grab.
Atticus has a sixth sense, and he knows when I have the tube in my hand, so he must be chased through the house, up the stairs and down the stairs we go repeatedly until he has been caught. Speaking in soothing tones, and gently stroking his fur, Atticus is carried to a chair and we sit down. This works for a few moments, until my hands pick up the little tube. Another fight begins, sometimes he gets away and the chase is on again, once caught we sit down and start over. The tube is opened and the fight begins again. This tube is placed between his shoulder blades and squeezed, then the screaming begins, his and mine. He generally escapes again and the process must be repeated until the tube is empty. This is not a painful event for Atticus; it is a different story for me.
What he doesn’t know, is that I purchased an extra tube, just for him. The plan is to take care of the situation this weekend. We will wait until he takes his afternoon nap, sneak up behind him and quickly do the deed. This one time, we will be one step ahead of him, unless that sixth sense of his discloses our secret.

10 comments:

  1. I hate fleas--I don't understand why God made them. We have one dog that hides, otherwise it isn't hard dosing them. Darn fleas! I can't even imagine how annoying they must be to animals!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate them too!!! The dogs are MUCH easier to dose than the cats!!!!!! Yes, fleas have got to be annoying to animals, can't imagine how aggravating that must be!

      Delete
  2. I just hate giving our animals the flea treatment, but they don't fight me the way Atticus does. I think your plan to catch him when he's napping is a good one. Flea treatment is on my list of things to take care of next week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad that you don't have to go through that with your animals!! Hope that all goes well!!

      Delete
  3. Count me in - I hate the fleas too! I use a pill for my little dog and have to cut it into four pieces and dip it in peanut butter or she won't take it! :)
    Thanks for popping in to see me,
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is how we get Honey to take hers!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah yes. Good ol flea season begins. You reminded me that I need to do the same thing to our dog. Good thing he doesn't mind though. He lets me squeeze it down his back and doesn't give it a care in the world. Your cat is so pretty! Good idea to do it while he's sleeping!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad that your dog is more cooperative than Atticus!! Atticus thanks you for the compliment!! He believes that he is pretty, just doesn't know that he is a cat!

      Delete
  6. Oh... that's funny, and I KNOW it doesn't hurt him one little bit! I worked at a veterinary hospital for 8 years, and hardly anything was as scary as a really pissed off cat!

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, but sometimes it hurts me! LOL!! I think that he does not like the smell, or maybe he just likes getting his way.
      Thanks for stopping by!!

      Delete

Thank you for visiting! Please leave me a comment, I would love to have a record of your visit! Anonymous comments will not be published!