Friday, March 2, 2012

Pimento Cheese

Pimento cheese is a southern favorite and there are as many ways to make it as there are southern cooks. Each cook has her own idea of how pimento cheese should taste. My Gran was a pimento cheese purist, only extra sharp shredded cheddar, pimentos, mayonnaise, salt and pepper could be used. My Mother is almost the same way, she uses sharp and mild cheddar cheese. Without a doubt, their pimento cheese is delicious, whether spread on a slice of fresh bread, celery stick. or just a cracker, their version is delightful.
My love for cooking comes from these talented women, but sometimes I tend to push the boundaries. I will never turn my back on their version of pimento cheese, but will continue to try other tasty variations.
This is a quick favorite suitable for any time of year, but as the weather warms and time is shorter, this is my fallback method.
Pimento Cheese
2 cups shredded cheese blend (for this version I am using a Cheddar, Queso Quesadilla, Asadero Cheese and Monterrey Jack blend)
2/3 cups mayonnaise
1/3 cup chopped pimento peppers or roasted red peppers
Fresh ground black pepper to taste



Place all of the ingredients in the bowl and mix with a fork until all ingredients are mixed. Serve on bread, crackers, or celery sticks. How easy is that? We like to keep these sandwiches ready made in the summer as a quick lunch to go.


The ingredients can be changed to suit your tastes. Sometimes sliced jalapeno peppers are added to the cheese, or different varieties of cheeses are used. If you are counting calories, lower fat mayonnaise can be used. The possibilities are endless.


Yes, I know that this can be purchased in the grocery store, but why buy it when I can make it and customize it to our tastes at the moment? Besides, it will not have the wonderful, fresh, homemade taste that this sandwich has!


Posted by Picasa
There have been times that I cheated and used cheese that was purchased grated, some days time is short and I must do things to save time. If you want the old fashioned taste, take the time to grate the cheese and taste the difference. Play with additions, some people choose to put onion, or sweet pickles in their pimento cheese, try a dash or more of hot sauce for another flavor variation. Vary the choice of bread, or place a slice in the oven until the cheese is melted. Different cheese will produce different flavors, the sky is the limit! Take this recipe and make it yours!
Linking to
at Designs by Gollum
at Miz Helen's Country Cottage
at Dandelion House
and

12 comments:

  1. Thank you for posting. I do not think Michiganders eat much pimento cheese. I had totally forgotten this childhood favorite. I grew up in Indiana and my mother and grandmother both served this as a lunchtime staple. I must try again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for stopping by Brenda!! Hope to see you again! Glad that I brought back a happy memory for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmmm this sounds good! I've heard of this before but have never had it and after reading your recipe I have decided to write the recipe out and give it a try. It's nice to have something pre-made in the fridge when we're busy working around the farm and hubby and I love cheese so I think this would be a hit. Thanks for sharing this with us! I hope your weekend is a good one.
    Maura :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope that you will try and love it like we do!! It does make for a simple and quick lunch on the go! Hope that your weekend is good too!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Melanie. I am a Southern girl, and love pimento cheese...but I have never tried it with a blend of cheeses. It sounds good! Thank you for visiting my blog. I am now following yours. Patsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for visiting and for following Patsy!!!!!

      Delete
  6. Hi Melanie,
    Oh girl, this is a comfort sandwich for me. I just love Pimento Cheese, with the bread, without, on crackers, on celery, or used as a dip for veggies or chips. Your recipe looks very good, I like the different cheeses that you used. Hope you are having a great week end and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right Miz Helen, no matter how you eat it, pimento cheese is just good stuff!!

      Delete
  7. I like pimento cheese sandwiches too. I never realized it was a southern style food. I grew up in the south and just thought everyone ate it. ha! Thanks for sharing your recipe too. I've never made it homemade. May have to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kelly, I was grown before I realized it was a southern type of food!! I thought that everyone ate it! But it is too good to keep to ourselves, it is just good food!

      Delete
  8. Hi Melanie! Oh, this looks so good. I've never made homemade pimento cheese but I just may have to now! Thank you for popping into see me.
    be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is always a poleasure to see you have been here Shelia!! Glad that you stopped by!!

      Delete

Thank you for visiting! Please leave me a comment, I would love to have a record of your visit! Anonymous comments will not be published!