Monday, April 2, 2012

Monday Musing - Cookook Addiction

There is something that I have to confess. There is a problem here. My husband is aware of the problem, but the truth is that he does nothing to end my almost addiction, he encourages it. Never complaining, always encouraging and assisting my condition. He knows that he reaps the benefits of this sickness.
The problem is cookbooks, I love them. These books are stacked throughout our home, and provide reading material for me, inspiration, and new ideas for supper. My favorites are the books that once belonged to someone else. The pages are examined for the most used page, and all of the notes are read. Kevin is the official taste tester at our house and decides if a new recipe is a keeper.
Kevin doesn’t complain about a new cookbook, rather his eyes twinkle. He wants to know how he can help, meaning he plans the new shelves. You didn’t think he was going to clean up the kitchen did you? This is not a new problem; it has been growing through the years. Several years ago I purchased a small bookshelf. The decision was made that when that shelf was filled, it would be time to stop. So I stopped, sort of. I stopped long enough to find another place to put the books. My collection has long since outgrown that shelf and other remedies had to be discovered.
There are a few magazines that were good, and now have a permanent home in my kitchen. The pages are marked by paper clips, or sticky notes. Kevin laughs because these books and magazines are so well known to me that when he makes a request, I know which book it is in. The stacks beside my chair and bed are rotated regularly.
I have an endless wish list and once a book is acquired, more are added to the list. Do you have a favorite? Tell me what it is, because I might need to read that one too.
Perhaps this is some type of addiction, or sickness encouraged by my husband. There is no end in sight, my list is long, my collection growing, and my husband is happy. If a cure exists, then we don’t want it.
Posted by Picasa

12 comments:

  1. I totally get this! I currently have two shelves full and it's sneaking on to a third! I only get a chance to indulge in new recipes in the holidays or weekends but I love finding something new that will quickly become an old favourite.Rx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rachel, yes I love finding those new things that become old favorites too!! So glad that I am not the only one - 3 shelves, yes you get it too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't blame your husband for not wanting you to get rid of this addiction. Right now it feeds his stomach just fine! Ha! Cookbooks can be stored in cabinets too. That's where mine are.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My husband would love it if I had a cookbook addiction--then I might actually cook!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL!! I never seem to have enough, he never knows what I will try next!

      Delete
  5. LOL. I feel your pain as I have the same addiction! I love reading them like novels.
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, like novels!!! That is how I read them too!! Thanks for stopping by!!

      Delete
  6. Melanie,
    I have the same addiction! I love them all and really have to hold back when I see a new one! My favorite ones are the community/church cookbooks. The last time we moved, I told my husband to stop me from buying any more cookbooks. But I've added a few more to my collection! I'm like you, I can pretty much tell you which cookbook contains a particular recipe. Have a wonderful Easter weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jane, you mean that it is possible to hold back? I did not know that. Apparently I don't know how to hold back!! Thanks for visiting!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love cookbooks as well! I prefer to buy church cookbooks because they contain recipes that are actually used by people! My favorite cookbook, other than the church ones, is Martha White's Southern Sampler! I used quite a few recipes in this one! Thanks for becoming a follower and I'm your newest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh Tammy, I don't have that one, sounds like it needs to be on my list though!! Thanks for sharing!! BIG thanks for following!!!

      Delete

Thank you for visiting! Please leave me a comment, I would love to have a record of your visit! Anonymous comments will not be published!