Monday, April 30, 2012

Monday Musing - New Life

 
Posted by Picasa


Springtime is baby time! Perhaps it is one of the reasons that I look forward to this time of year. Chicks are a favorite of mine, hard to believe that some of those sweet fuzzy little chicks will turn into mean birds. Roosters are often pretty to look at, but the scar on my leg reminds me how they can act. We like to have a rooster here, but prefer to raise them ourselves.

Last year, we had a spraddle legged chick; he spent time in the Chick I.C.U. and received Poultry Physical Therapy. This sweet little chick turned into a rather pretty bird. Looking at him now, you would never guess that his life almost didn’t happen. He is a good rooster, and takes good care of his girls. His name is Doc, and like all of the animals he has a nick name, it is Docky Doodle and comes running when he hears me call him by that name. Doc likes to walk around with me, and is interested in anything that I am doing. I have tried to explain to Doc, that I don’t want to be friends; I just want him to take care of his girls. His feelings may have been hurt by that revelation. Kevin informed me yesterday, that his days were now numbered. Doc has become aggressive towards Kevin.

We anticipated this, and set up the incubator a few weeks ago. Patiently we monitored the temperature and turned the eggs regularly. The eggs were candled at the appropriate time and we watched the new life form. It is awesome to watch these chicks moving inside of their shells! Our patience paid off last weekend as the chicks began to hatch.

We heard a muffled peep, and later that day there was a pip in the shell! We kept checking and have to say that I wanted to help these chicks, but knew that my help would kill them. So I sat cheering the chick on. This chick fought and pushed out of the shell. We watched this new life take those first steps, dry off and look up at me, to discover who the familiar voice belonged to. 5 chicks have hatched; time will tell if there is a rooster among them. No matter how many times I see this miracle occur, it remains a new and fresh experience. God’s miracles continually amaze me!

4 comments:

  1. Oh, so sweet. Farmlife looks so fun (though I am sure can be exhausting too)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right, fun and exhausting!

      Delete
  2. oh my goodness.. what a blessing to be able to witness al of this. I would love it...maybe. I bet you learn so much about life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is awesome to watch and monitor the eggs before they hatch!! There is always so much to learn!!

      Delete

Thank you for visiting! Please leave me a comment, I would love to have a record of your visit! Anonymous comments will not be published!