Monday, May 7, 2012

Monday Musing - This Can't Be Happening!


Most of my life has been spent in this area, I am unapologetically southern. I don’t wear white shoes after Labor Day or before Easter. I think cheese straws should be served at showers and weddings, I don’t go into the pool room, my hot dogs are ordered from the window, I suffer from allergies and one of my favorite movies is Steel Magnolia’s. My name is Melanie, how southern is that? I apologize for none of these things.

When I am sick, there are things that are a must, some dranks (for those of you that don’t know, that means non alcoholic carbonated beverage) the TV remote, old movies, and homemade chicken soup. My favorite movies are on VHS, I can use a VCR, it is simple. Turn it on, pop the movie in and hit play.

Recently I was in the throes of an allergy attack and after a conversation with my daughter and a few quotes from one of our favorite movies, I decided that now would be a good time to sit down and watch this movie. So looking in the den, the bedroom and even the attic, my movie was located, how it made its way to the downstairs closet is a mystery. I went to the only VCR in this house turned it on and popped in my movie. I was ready with my dranks and tissues, because I cry every time Julia Roberts dies, of course laughter follows. Who wouldn’t want to take a whack at Ouiser? I was sick and this might make me feel better, but the VCR spit my tape out. In disbelief, I tried to push it back in, but something was wrong, pulling the movie out, there was resistance. No! This can’t be happening, it ate my tape!

My mind was racing, what will I do now? I can’t use that DVD player; my husband has it set up in a way that requires codes and a secret dance. I need simplicity and 1 remote control. Perhaps it is time to learn how to use this DVD thing. Another option is to just call Katie and talk to her. She makes me laugh, and we can quote our favorite parts of the movie. That is more fun than watching a movie, and then there will not be a need to learn this DVD thing!

6 comments:

  1. LOL ..Good Morning Melanie! What a great way to start the day...with a good laugh :) I just wrote you a nice long reply to the comment you left about my cottage rose post only to see that there was no email address when I hit REPLY OH NO!!! I'll keep it and search around your blog to see if I can muster it up ;) I'm sorry to read you're suffering from allergies but even more sorry about your Steel Magnolias tape!! I know what you mean about DVD's...electronic stuff scares me and I don't understand why they make it so dang complicated!!! I agree with you...that's what made VCR's and tapes so great. OH well. I know you'll do just fine with your DVD thinky...if I could learn it...so can you. Get your hubby to write it out for you so you have it when you need it and mark your remotes (I hate having more than one and we have at least 3) I hope this week is a better one for you. Maura :)
    OH YEAY...I just looked over to the right and lo and behold there's your email address so I'll cut and paste my reply to a new email and send it off to you ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maura, you are a good southern girl!! Yes, my Steel Magnolias tape is a lot more important than common, yearly allergies that I only have to deal with for a short time!!!!!! I will always miss the VCR and its simplicity!

      Delete
  2. Oh Melanie! Bless your heart! You were all set for comfort and laughs - I have begun using our DVD and my son left his Playstation - that took a while to get used to! We use Netflix - no more cable - it's just me during the day and I just don't have the time for tv - it is like the computer - once you get the hang of it you'll love it - Master that DVD player! Hugs and much laughs while you conquer your allergies - perhaps you'll get some rain - I sure hope we do today!
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dread learning to poerate that thing!! I can't sit and watch TV either, even if I didn't have so much to do. Hope that you get rain today, we are supposed to get some. It will make a LOT of us happy!!

      Delete
  3. I know how you feel, Melanie! I call out for my kids to help me when I need to do something with my DVD player. Hope your allergies get better, Blessings, Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am not the only one then! LOL!! Thanks Tammy, rain will help!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting! Please leave me a comment, I would love to have a record of your visit! Anonymous comments will not be published!