Thursday, June 21, 2012

Join Me On The Porch

Please join me, the tea is fresh, the breeze is gentle and the air is comfortably cool.


 
There is a glass of tea waiting for us at the table. Franny the Fickle Ficus is in the corner, she likes it there.


 
We could sit here in the rockers if you like.


 
The pitcher was a gift from my daughter, she knows me so well!! Tea tastes better in a Mason jar to me. My husband made the tray and I stained and painted it.


 
The irrigation is on in the orchard, and the sun is shining through the leaves.


 
This sweet potato vine enjoys the sun, it grows at an amazing rate.


 
You could sit here and swing for awhile if you like. The front porch of an older home seems to beg for a swing.


 
A porch should be an inviting place to sit and enjoy a refreshing drink in my book. I like to use lots of fresh plants. There are ferns, an ornamental sweet potato vine, my ficus tree and a couple of aloe plants on my front porch.


 

The items that I use are thrifted, yard sale items, or free. The rocking chairs are a yard sale find, $4 each! The table is a freebie. It is an old end table. Remember that horrible "rustic" furniture from the 80's? It looks different with a coat or two of paint.

 

The flower cart is old, my husband sanded it. Trying to remember exactly, but I think it was a yard sale find several years ago. I painted the flag several years ago, the other items are dollar store finds, except for the aloe plant!

 
If you are afraid to mess up expensive pillows, shop yard sales and thrift stores. If something happens to them, and it eventually it will outside, you haven't lost a lot of money. I use quilts that were picked up inexpensively also. If you choose a damaged quilt, the damage may be able to be hidden by placing the pretty part on the outside.


 
Posted by Picasa

To make a front porch inviting, provide a place to sit. Different conversation areas are great if you have the space.

Use plants on your porch, they add a "live" touch. The cool green of the leaves is a welcome sight on super hot days!

Use things that you love on your porch, the front porch is a teaser for what a guest can expect from the rest of your home.

Provide plenty of bug spray and/or citronella candles.

Let your creativity take over and create a welcoming space to enjoy for you, your family, and guests. We use our porches almost all year, guests seem to enjoy sitting here as much as we do.


Joining

Stone Gable for Tutorials, Tips and Tidbits

A Delightsome Life for Home and Garden Thursday

Have A Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson for Share Your Cup Thursday

From My Front Porch To Yours for Treasure Hunt Thursday's

A Rural Journal for Rural Thursdays
and
Two Bears Farm for Rural Thursdays

42 comments:

  1. I would just love to sit on your porch and have tea. Your watermelon pitcher is adorable - your daughter does know you very well. Have a lovely day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for visiting Donna!!! There is a glass of tea right there on the table for you!!!

      Delete
  2. Melanie, I would love to come and sit on your porch! It is 95 degrees here, no breeze and so humid. It is hard to believe your beautiful porch came from such humble beginnings! It is beautiful. Thanks for showing us that we CAN have lovely things and not pay a fortune! Thanks for joining TUTORIALS TIPS AND TIDBITS!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so very much Yvonne!!! Yes, this porch had humble beginnings indeed!! Thanks fro visiting!!!

      Delete
  3. Oh thank you so much I truly enjoyed the tea the company and the wonderful view. Enjoy that wonderful porch and thank you for sharing with all of us. B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Buttons, I was happy to have you visit!!!

      Delete
  4. So inviting. . .and looks so cool! I could use some of that here at the farm. Heat and humidity are up there today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wish I culd send it your way too! We will have the heat and humidity this weekend! Thanks for visiting!!!

      Delete
  5. Would love to be there on your porch. Having a glass of tea and great conversation. We don't have a porch. Our old house had one and I really miss it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wish you were here too, there is a lot that you and I could talk about!!! Thanks for visiting!!!

      Delete
  6. wow ! great pictures from you!
    It is a relaxed place you have !
    have a nice time on your veranda!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad that you enjoyed your visit and hope that you will come again!! Thanks!!!

      Delete
  7. You've created such a lovely place to relax and enjoy the summer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Pam!!! So glad that you dropped by, please come again!!!

      Delete
  8. you have a beautiful porch, i love it! i hate my porch. it's big but someone stuck that awful outdoor carpet on it...i want to pull it up but not sure what is underneath to tackle it...but at least it's a nice size...just hate that carpet...who carpets a porch anyway?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tanya!!! Can you get to an edge to pull up the carpet and peek underneath? Don't understand why someone would do that, hoping you get the porch you desire soon!!! Thanks for visiting me and come again soon!!!

      Delete
  9. It looks very inviting. You did a good job...Connie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your porch is delightful. Makes you want to sit a spell and sip some tea! Thanks for dropping by my blog today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sherry!!! I appreciate your visit and hope to see you again!!!

      Delete
  11. Melanie -- thank you for your visit and sweet comment! I LOVE your blog. Your porch is lovely -- so welcoming AND I love your ferns. I am doing posts this next week on both porches and ferns :)

    I am following and am glad to meet a new friend :)

    Blessings!
    Gail

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Gail, so glad to have you visit and hope to see my new friend here again!!!

      Delete
  12. I love your covered porch and all that it has to offer!

    Thank you for sharing at Rural Thursdays this week. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nancy!!! I always look forward to Rural Thursdays!

      Delete
  13. I enjoyed touring your front porch. Looks so inviting. Your tips are spot on. Visiting from WOW & am a new follower.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Toni!!! So glad the you came by and glad to have you as a new follower!!!

      Delete
  14. Morning Melanie,
    Just wanted to thank you for coming by and for your sweet comments.
    Love you big front porch, and especially with the rockers, what a great deal you got on those.
    I am an ice tea drinker too, love it especially with lemon. cute pitcher from your daughter.
    I am sure yall enjoy many wonderful times on that porch. I hardly have a front porch but
    we have a large screened in back porch that we adore.

    Blessings for a lovely weekend,
    Nellie

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for visiting Nellie!!! So glad that you came by and hope to see you again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love your beautiful porch! It's so big too. I like a porch with plenty of room to move around. You've set it up perfectly. I like how you hung a quilt over the railing too. Such a charming touch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kelly!!! It may not be a fancy or brand new porch, but we enjoy it! Thanks for stopping by!!!

      Delete
  17. Replies
    1. Thank you so much!!! Thanks for visiting me!!!

      Delete
  18. Melanie, your front porch is a place I could hang out for hours. It is so warm and welcoming. I love how long it is. My front porch is one of my favorite places to create coziness. We only rarely sit out there because we are out back under the pergola. I agree, that it is an open invitation as to what the rest of your home has to offer. I love your chairs and plant stand. Thanks so much for sharing with Share Your Cup.
    Hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jann!!! A porch is to be enjoyed isn't it? So glad that you came by for a visit!!! Thanks again!!!

      Delete
  19. Your porch is beautiful...and large! Where do you live and what time do you guys go to bed...I might need to come and "borrow" those white rockers! lol 4.00 each??? why can't I be so lucky!!
    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was pure luck, just happened upon that yard sale one day and stopped. I asked the lady if she happened to have any more outdoor funriture and she took me to her front porch and asked if I would be interested in these 2 old rockers. They were burgundy and needed a little repair.

      You crack me up, you would have to travel way too far to get my chairs! LOL!!

      Delete
  20. What a peaceful welcoming spot! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Replies
    1. Thank you Debra!!! Thanks for visiting!!!

      Delete
  22. My favorite thing about an old farmhouse is the front porch...love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad that you do!! I love an old farmhouse front porch too!!!

      Delete

Thank you for visiting! Please leave me a comment, I would love to have a record of your visit! Anonymous comments will not be published!