Monday, June 11, 2012

Monday Musing - The Legacy of Youth

This past week, I taught Bible School to 4 young people. These 4 young people are now counted in the circle of people that are special to me. These young folks may never know the impression that they have left, wasn’t it supposed to be the other way around?
The honesty and innocence of children is refreshing, and a pleasure to be around, if only these sweet qualities could be preserved for a longer length of time. Sadly the realities of the world that we live in will creep in and steal those precious qualities from these dear children.
Each child was special in their own way, and it was impossible not to notice their unique qualities immediately. The class was small, 4 children, 1 girl and 3 boys, but what this class lacked in size, they made up for in quality! One particular child asked questions that made me stop and think. His eyes twinkled when he was teasing, but when he was serious, the look in his eyes easy to recognize.
This inquisitive young man asked one evening, if I had children at home. I told him that I did not; my daughter is grown and lives on her own now. He asked how old she was, and I answered him. “Wow” was his reply! “She must be in college”. “No, she is finished with school” was the reply. This caused my inquisitive charge to sit back in his chair, and ponder the information I shared with him. “She is old”, he said and looking at me, the question that he wanted to ask, but had been taught not to ask, was in his head.
The question that Southern women avoid, our age was hanging there. He did not ask, no matter how desperately he desired to. This young man had been raised right!
When my Gran was 82 years old, she declared that she was now 28 years old. Not being the type of woman to disagree with my elders, I chose to agree with her. Besides, if she was 28, my Mama was younger than that, making me even younger. This knowledge brought comfort; it will be a very long time before old age is issue for me. Youth is a wonderful legacy to leave your children and grandchildren!

2 comments:

  1. Sweet story--there is nothing more precious than a little kid!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, kids are precious!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting! Please leave me a comment, I would love to have a record of your visit! Anonymous comments will not be published!