Friday, June 29, 2012

My Farmhouse Bathroom

We live in an old farmhouse, and are lucky that the home has not been subject to countless renovations. The original family that owned this home, was a frugal farm family.


 
Farmhouse style is comfortable and does not have to cost a small fortune to acheive. The braided rug is an old rejected  and forgotten treasure from my attic.


 
The shelf is an old board from the shed. The milk glass was picked up at yard sales. The old cruet now holds bath oil. The petunias are volunteers that were growing in the back yard. Petunias are a fragrant flower, and are often found in the yards of older homes, volunteering their fragrance and beauty to anyone willing to stop and smell, and admire their beauty..


 
The birds are yard sale finds as well.


 
An old enamel pan olds extra rolls of this bathroom neccesity.


 
Farmhouse style recycles things that once had a different purpose than the current purpose.


 
The lace shower curtain is another yard sale find.


 
My so called treasures are a mixture of odd things.


 
This old shelf has served several purposes. I don't know what the original purpose was, but it now holds towels and other bathroom items.


 
My style breaks the rules, an old aluminum bowl holds wash cloths. An old perfume tray now holds cotton ball, q-tips and other decorative items.


 
My style is imperfect by some standards, but perfectly comfortable to us.


 
My style is affordable too, creativity is the most important ingredient used.


 
Posted by Picasa

Petunias remind me of my childhood. When I smelled these flowers, the petals covered my nose, and I giggled. As an adult, they still make me smile!

Linking to

Savvy Southern Style for Wow Us Wednesday

From My Front Porch to Yours for Treasure Hunt Thursdays

The Thrifty Groove for Thrifty Things Friday

A Rural Journal for Rural Thursdays

Have A Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson for Share Your Cup Thursday

Stone Gable for Tutorials, Tips and Tidbits

My Romantic Home for Show and Tell Friday

Funky Junk Interiors for Saturday Night Special

28 comments:

  1. I think everything looks wonderful. I like the simple clean lines of it all! Thank you for sharing this with us at TTF. I hope you have a fantastic day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Diann and thanks for visiting!!!

      Delete
    2. I am back to let you know tht I am featuring this post on this week's TTF party! I hope you will join us again and stop by to grab your "I was featured" button for your blog! Have a wonderful day!

      Delete
    3. Thanks Diann!!!!! So excited and yes I will be joining you again!!!

      Delete
  2. You and I have similar taste in odd things and Farmhouse bathrooms!
    I love the board across the tub, with the Petunias! So lovely.
    I'm dreaming of a claw foot tub, Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand that dream because I had it too!!! Thanks Pat!!!

      Delete
  3. Not only do you have a lovely bathroom, you have a lovely blog as well! I've enjoyed my visit and have become one of your newest followers. Hope you have a wonderful weekend, Gail

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so very very much Gail!!! Enjoy your weekend and I hope to see you again soon!!!

      Delete
  4. I think your style is perfect! There is no rules to break when making a house a home. The farm house style is so in now too! Great post:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sandy!!! That was the goal to make this house our home!

      Delete
  5. I love it! I also live in an old farmhouse and have the claw foot tub. My hubby is a carpenter and I NEVER thought to use a board to hold my stuff! I feel the need to go raid his stock pile...I did use an old cupboard turned on end as my "closet" .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Domestic Goddess!!! Yes, raid his stash, he probably has some good stuff!!! Love to reuse things in unique ways too, love that closet idea!!!

      Delete
  6. I like your style and love your bathroom! My old farmhouse contains many of the same things from all over the place -- and I love and treasure them all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That type of thing is the BEST treasure to me too!!! Thanks Nancy!!!

      Delete
  7. Hi, I love your style! I am visiting from THT, and am a new follower.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks you Teresa!!! Heading on over to your place to pay you a visit!!!

      Delete
  8. I love it! :)

    Visitng from Thrifty Groove party :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Debra!!! Please visit again!!!

      Delete
  9. Hi Melanie, I am so impressed with your creativity. I love the ordinary things that you have used in an unordinary way. The board across the tub holding bath products is something most of us would have never thought to do. Your bathroom is really lovely. Have a nice weekend!!---- Shannon

    ReplyDelete
  10. Melanie, I love your bathroom especially the board across the tub. Thank you so much for sharing it with us! ~Tammy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tammy!!! Thanks for dropping by too!!!

      Delete
  11. Melanie, I love how you used your enamel pan to store the TP! And I would give my right arm for your tub. Our bathroom is very small and only has a shower. I do miss a soaking tub! I've been catching up with some of your posts that I have missed. Your front porch is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jane!!! Older homes and smaller bathrooms go hand in hand don't they? Mine is small too, I think that it was planned around the size of the tub! Thanks for visiting me!!!

      Delete
  12. Hi Melanie, love your farmhouse style. The piece of old wood across the tub is just fun. I too love using unusual things for containers and I think you have lots of creative ideas. I have T.P. in a tin tub in my upstairs bathroom. We both love birds and thrift items. You have pulled it all together so well. Thanks for sharing with Share Your Cup.
    Hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Jann!!! As for the TP tin tub, great minds think alike huh? Yes, those thrift items are my favorite to use, and it is guilt free shopping! Thanks so much!!!

      Delete
  13. Great job. Would love to have you join Seasonal Sundays.

    - The Tablescaper

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! So glad that you visited me! Would love to join your party!!

      Delete

Thank you for visiting! Please leave me a comment, I would love to have a record of your visit! Anonymous comments will not be published!