Monday, June 11, 2012

A Rescue

This little ragamuffin of a dog came to my house this weekend. A kind lady brought her to me, she was taken out of a horrific situation to say the least. She has 2 eyes, you can't see them in this picture. She has been to the vet and checks out fine, even though she is emaciated, she weighs under 7 pounds, and should weigh at least 10 pounds.



 
Posted by Picasa
She has had a hair cut now. There was not a place to pet her there were so many mats! The mats in her fur were like a second skin, and she had to be trimmed almost down to her skin. Her fur was literally cut off in sheets. The mats were physically painful to remove for her. Removing the mats from her feet and legs, was like removing a tight boot from her feet and legs. She did not walk on her feet, she walked on matted fur. The mats circled her body like a second skin. If you look at the picture, you will notice a mat that hangs down in her face, it was the first thing to go so that she could see.
We worked on this dog for 3 days removing the mats, it was difficult for her, so we went slowly and as easily as we could.
She now has food to eat, you can feel her backbone. Are you angry yet?
The lady that brought her to me said that the previous owner told her that they were going to take her and dump her in the woods. They did not care what happened to the dog, she just did not want to ever have to look at her again! This lady knew that I would take care of her, that is why she brought her to me.
 She flinches if you move too fast, Guessing that she has been abused. She now wags her tail when I come into the room. She has not been housebroken and is 4 years old! When I take her outside and praise for doing her "business", she did not understand, but is learning.
I believe in kennel training my dogs, a kennel should be a safe, clean place for them, and a way to teach them lovingly. She is learning that lesson. We have along way to go, but there is no hurry, this little dog has already formed a bond with us. She is learning that our hands pet her, feed her, and care for her, they do not harm her.
The amazing thing about this little girl is that in spite of the abuse that she has suffered, she wants to love and be loved! The capacity to give and receive love is still inside of her.
We have taken pictures of this dog documenting her condition. This is abuse and neglect!!!!
Animals are a responsibility, they must have food, water, love, and a place to "potty" every single day. Even on the days that it is raining, cold, hot, you don't feel like it, or you are tired etc., they still need to be cared for. How and why would someone want to mistreat a little animal is difficult for me to understand. She will be okay with time, our love and care. Her journey to healing has begun, we will be right there with her every step of the way! She loves us already!

6 comments:

  1. Oh I so enjoyed this post! What a sweet baby! She is so precious. I am so glad you have her. Are you going to be able to keep her? I can't wait to see her progress. Please post about her often. This is such a feel good story. I agree--how can people be so cruel?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I plan to post about her often! My heart wants to keep her, we will see what happens!

      Delete
  2. Oh, bless your heart for taking in this little angel. Poor little thing. I agree with you, it just makes me angry to think someone would neglect and treat badly one of God's little creatures. She already knows you're kind and are helping and loving her. I can't wait to see her when you get her fattened up a bit! :)
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Couldn't turn this little angel away! She has a long way to go, but it is amazing to see the progress that she has made in a few days!

      Delete
  3. Cruelty is rampant it seems and this sweet little pup has finally found a loving, caring place. I know she will respond to your love. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We look forward to the day that she looks as good as she feels. She makes progress every day! She is a sweet animal and deserves to be loved and treated very well!!!

      Delete

Thank you for visiting! Please leave me a comment, I would love to have a record of your visit! Anonymous comments will not be published!