Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Welcome To My Front Porch


There are many things that I love about this old farmhouse, and this front porch is one of those loved things! Old homes tend to have larger front porches. There was a time before indoor air conditioning, that people slept on their porches. We don't sleep on our porches, but we spend a lot of time on them.

 
A requirement for enjoying an old porch is a glass of iced tea. We are happy to comply with that requirement! When we make homemade ice cream, it is enjoyed here.


 
There is room to create different spaces on this porch and this one of the spaces. This is one side of the porch, the other side will be shown later.


 

A corner chair provides a place to read a favorite book.


 

A large southern porch needs ferns too. This is a Boston Fern, not what I usually buy, but it was on sale for $5 last year. It survived the winter and has come back beautifully. Kimberly Queen ferns are the usual favorite. Mine are old, I have had them for over 5 years! They do not shed as bad making them a popular choice and can be kept for the winter if protected from the cold. Don't remember exactly how old they are, but we had them before we moved here 5 years ago.

 
My husband made this bench, I think he did a great job!


 
The star was a yard sale find and the flag was made from a piece of scrap lumber, I painted it a few years ago.


 
Summertime  and Americana go hand in hand. I love using that theme on this old front porch!


 

Would you like to sit here? I will bring you a glass of iced tea.

 
It is often called the house wine of the south.


 
It seems that I can't keep enough made in the summer.


 

It tastes best in an old jelly glass or a canning jar!

 
A porch is a great place to read a book. Erma Bombeck is a favorite, I have read this book at least a hundred times, it never gets old to me!


 
It is watermelon season here, the decor is every where! The watermelon pillow is old, but loved. A basket beside the chair holds a few favorite magazines. The magazine shown is old, but still lovely to look at.


 
Somehow I managed to take these pictures without the help of any of the barn cats, don't know how that happened. They are always looking for an opportunity to be a part of pictures!


 
There is generally a gentle breeze blowing here, making the porch a pleasant place to relax.


 
Posted by Picasa
Hoping that you enjoyed your visit and will come again, there is always a glass of tea waiting for you here, sweet tea of course! If we have run out, just wait a few minutes, I will make some more!

So here is the Before.


Here is the After.


Joining


http://debbie-debbiedoos.com/"  target="_blank">http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u87/auntdoi/DebbieNewbiePartyButton2.png" />

Between Naps On The Porch for Met Monday


Not Just A Housewife for Show Me What Ya Got http://www.notjustahousewife.net/2012/06/show-me-what-ya-got-79.html

The Farmhouse Porch for Cowgirl Up

My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia for Tuesday's Treasures

Savvy Southern Style for Wow Us Wednesdays

26 comments:

  1. What a perfect country porch. I still sneak out on our porch while dinner is on the stove and the kitchen is heating up. The cool breeze is always refreshing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is refreshing! Thanks for stopping in!!

      Delete
  2. how perfect! looks so welcoming and inviting! yes, I will have that tea, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!!! The tea is already sweetened, hope that is okay with you!!! Thanks for visiting!!!

      Delete
  3. Oh I love your porch!
    Since we recently have gotten a new cover over it and there are no more leaks... I would love to have it strewn with pillows and all nice and comfy with a rug under my feet.

    But alas, the chickens think it is their place to roost! They'd dirty the rug for sure.

    love the 'house wine'... in your very best *pickle crystal* ...;) Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fortunately my chickens have not discovered the front of the house!

      LOL!! Pat we only drink our tea from the very best glasses! Besides it tastes better that way!!!

      Delete
  4. It's a good thing I'm not your neighbor as I would be one "pesky" neighbor wanting to hang out on your front porch and sip Sweet Tea! Love the red/white/blue decor. Very inviting. Before we moved to LA we had a large front porch and I miss it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sweet Tea!!! Come on over, just poured up a pitcher!

      Delete
  5. Melanie, I love your big farmhouse porch! Who needs to be inside on a pretty summer day when you have such a great living space!!!
    And aren't you the sweetest hostess... serving up a big icy mason jar of sweet tea!
    Please join the first TUTORIALS TIPS AND TIDBITS with this fun post full of great ideas and tidbits about decorating porches! Post goes live Wednesday at 8:00!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Yvonne!!! So glad you came by for a visit, your party sounds like it will be a lot of fun!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your porch looks great! That fern is so pretty--I thought it might be fake. That is awesome it survived the winter. I could sit out there for hours drinking tea.:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sandy!! That is the first Boston Fern that I have had survive the winter! Guess that it was because we had a mild winter.

      Delete
  8. Such a cute porch. I love all your cute accessories.
    I'm visiting from Debbie doos.
    Katie-Let's Add Sprinkles

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you Katie, so glad that you stopped by!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Melanie! Your porch looks so welcoming and patriotic! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Melanie, I love your porch but what I really love is the snow man in your header. Love your blog. I am your newest follower...Connie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Connie, so glad that you came by for a visit and are following!!!

      Delete
  12. I stopped by from Debbiedoo's and so happy I did! Your porch looks so "southern" ~ welcoming and happy. When I was growing up, we had a large screened in porch...wooden on the lower half. Yes, I slept out there many times! Would love to join you for a glass of tea. I'm a new follower and look forward to seeing more.

    Stop by and say hi when you can!
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat, thanks for stopping by for a visit and for following!!! Hope to see you again soon, there is a glass of tea waiting for you!!!

      Delete
  13. Hi! Just found your post through Wow us Wednesday. Oddly enough, I linked up my porch too. I hope you'll stop by and check it out.

    Your porch, is the perfect picture of a country front porch. I love how large it is, and how warm and welcoming it is!

    I'll take some tea please!

    Sharon

    p.s. I'm a new follower!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sharon, I am so glad to have you visit me and follow too!!! Glad that you like my porch, just set your tea on the bench and we will chat for awhile. Hope you don't mind if a barn cat makes their way around here, they like to visit too!!!

      Delete
  14. Your porch is super welcoming! I LOVE it..very rustic cottage feel. Thanks for sharing with the newbie part.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad that you like our proch!!! Thanks for visiting Debbie!!!

      Delete
  15. Replies
    1. Thanks!!! Thanks for visiting and hope to see you again!!!

      Delete

Thank you for visiting! Please leave me a comment, I would love to have a record of your visit! Anonymous comments will not be published!