Monday, July 9, 2012

Monday Musing - Life is a Precious Gift

Occasionally I experience times that the words do not flow easily. This is one of those times. The happenings that break our hearts and send us to our knees have brought a halt to the free flowing words that my fingers type. My heart aches for those grieving, and I do not have the words that could make their pain disappear. There are many things in life that are completely out of my control, as I am not able to control all of the things that happen in my life; I will control how I react. Lacking the ability to change hurtful circumstances, I have made the decision to greet each day as the gift that it is.
The choice was made to celebrate each time that my Daddy looks at me and says “well hey there sugar baby” because I don’t know how many more times I will hear him say that. My heart will shout each time my daughter calls me and we share a laugh that no one else would understand, which can happen at any time of day or night, and some days it can happen numerous times. Every time my husband calls me just to check on me should be treated as a special occasion. I will smile broader when my brother jokingly tells me “if you need me, then I will call you”.
We are not promised another second in this life, and need to take advantage of each one that we have. Life is a reason to celebrate. I will do these things in spite of the fact that my daughter threatens to write her own column and set the record straight. In spite of the fact that when my husband calls, there is always some sort of emergency happening at our house, usually involving an animal, I will treat his calls as a special occasion. In spite of the fact that my brother sometimes reads what I write, and may possibly read these words, I will smile and in spite of the fact that each time I greet someone I love, it could be the last time I have the opportunity. The saying “Life is fragile, handle with prayer” has a lot of wisdom in it. Life is a precious gift, what are you doing with your gift?

16 comments:

  1. You said it all in those 5 words..."Life is a Precious Gift".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is! Thank you for visiting and following!!!!

      Delete
  2. So true - life is precious and all-too-often taken for granted. Thank you for the gentle reminder to embrace - both life and those we love as often as possible.

    Blessings!
    Gail

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, none of us are promised another moment! Grab someone you love and hug them!!!

      Delete
  3. Saying a prayer for you, Melanie, as I can sense your heavy heart! I agree with Linda and you - life is a precious gift.
    Blessings,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shelia, you are obviously someone who knows how to use this precious gift! There is much to learn from you! Thank you for visiting me today!!!!

      Delete
  4. You are absolutely right. My life was turned upside down with one phone call. We Should live like every moment could be our last and savor each and every one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we should. As the saying goes "I don't know what tommorrow holds, but I know who holds tommorrow", it is so true!

      Delete
  5. Thanks for the reminder. Wishing you peace and happiness.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your title says it all, Melanie. Often in the hustle and bustle of the day, we forget this. Then something happens and we realize that we've taken things for granted. Alas, if only we had kept this thought in our minds... We must endeavor to remind ourselves of this every morning and let the people we love know how important and precious they are to us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true Peggy!! You are right, we should let the people we love, know that we love them!! Thanks Peggy!!

      Delete
  7. I try to appreciate every moment but it is nice to sometimes have a reminder! Thanks so much for sharing! Blessings, Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  8. You nailed it! I learned many years ago that my secure world could turn upside down in an instant. I do my best to treasure this gift of life, but still get caught up in the daily business and take it for granted sometimes. Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nonnie!!! Thank you for visiting me and hope to see you here again!!!

      Delete

Thank you for visiting! Please leave me a comment, I would love to have a record of your visit! Anonymous comments will not be published!