Thursday, July 12, 2012

A Symbol of Southern Hospitality

Pineapples are often found in southern homes, the pineapple is considered to be a symbol of hospitality.
Pineapples were once the food of kings, and are now available to everyone.

 

Pineapples have graced the entries to southern homes and the wealthier homes often served pineapples to guests as a treat. If you were served pineapple, you knew that your hostess had gone to great deal of expense to make guests feel welcome and comfortable.


 

You will often find a sign greeting visitors with a pineapple symbol and "Welcome Friends" greeting visitors to a southern home.


 

Pineapple sandwiches are served during the summer at church functions, ladies luncheons, or simply a meal or snack. It is important to note that a simple pineapple sandwich tastes a little more special if placed on slices of bread that are round!


 
The decor is found throughout homes. Everything from a simple key rack near the back door, to the pineapple finial on the bedroom lamps, and the pineapples that greet a visitor at the front door.



 
Congealed salads are a popular dish served in the summertime. Many recipes call for pineapple in these cool and delicious salads.



 
Whether you are a front door guest, or a back door guest, my pineapples are waiting to greet visitors.



 
Posted by Picasa

Come in and sit down, I will get you a glass of tea and make you a pineapple sandwich!

Linking to the following

A Delightsome Life for Home and Garden Thursday

Stone Gable Cottage for Tutorials, Tips and Tidbits

My Romantic Home for Show and Tell Friday

12 comments:

  1. Your collection of pineapples is very nice. I have always liked the symbol of pineapples used in decorating. I have plates with pineapples on them and a carved wooden pineapple bought at Buzzard Bay when on vacation years ago. I am a southerner too but I didn't know about the pineapple sandwiches. That must explain why my Mom loves pineapple sandwiches with a slice of yellow cheese and mayo on white bread. I always thought that was strange but I guess not. Enjoyed your post. ---------Shannon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have learned from you too!, have never tired cheese, but that makes sense. Sometimes I mix crushed pinea;;le and cream cheese to make open faced sandwiches for a function. Now I will have to try a slice of yellow cheese on a sandwich. I use cheese in a pineapple casserole too. Thanks for sharing with me!!!

      Delete
  2. I didn't know that about pineapples. Thanks for enlightening me! I'll be over this afternoon for that sandwich and tea. I'll bring dessert! Let me notify my pilot, so he can have the plane ready. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like you have the hard part making dessert!! But yes, do come on over, we will sit on the porch and enjoy our treats there!!!

      Delete
  3. When I see a pineapple I DO think of Southern Hospitality! What a great and very hospitable post! The tidbits about the origins of the pineapple being such a iconic symbol was very informative!
    Thanks for sharing this with all of us at TUTORIALS TIPS AND TIDBITS! I have got to make those pineapple sandwiches!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh how wonderful! I think I remember hearing about this some time ago, but had forgotten it. Thank you for sharing. :)

    ***Stopping by from the hop, have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad that you paid me a visit and hope that you will be back again!! I'll keep the pineapples out for you!!!

      Delete
  5. I never knew that a pineapple was a symbol for hospitality.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, dates back to colonial times. Thanks for stopping by Lisa!!!

      Delete
  6. I love this - we have an old brass knocker at the back door that is a pineapple. A wonderful symbol of hospitality! I do appreciate you sharing with Home and Garden Thursdays,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kathy!!! Thanks for visiting!!!

      Delete

Thank you for visiting! Please leave me a comment, I would love to have a record of your visit! Anonymous comments will not be published!