Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Where I Live - Irrigation

The mornings have been cool enough lately, that I can open the front door for awhile. Atticus likes that, he can watch what is happening outside.



 
The irrigation is running in fields now. We need rain desperately.


 

Yesterday afternoon, I watched the radar as rain circled our area, leaving the center dry. It did cool the air and provide some welcome relief, that was our only benefit.


 
Those clouds in the pictures did not produce rain for this field. 


 
We do not farm, thank goodness, but I understand that it is hard work. I remember seeing Daddy come in from the field and sit on the porch with a tall glass of tea, watching the rain and hoping that his fields would benefit. Sometimes it happened and sometimes it didn't. There were years that it didn't happen often enough.


 
Posted by Picasa
I am the daughter of a man that farmed and ran his own business. I have discovered that I am not happy away from this farming life. Even if my husband and I are not farming, I am able to watch what happens in these fields, and remember happier times when Daddy farmed.

"This little patch of earth and this little pile of stones; I can wash the dust off my face and skin, but this earth is in my bones."
Ralph McTell

6 comments:

  1. Though we live in the "city" we live in a farming community. There is just something calming about living near a farm. I am happy that I daily pass beautiful farms.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love seeing farms too! Especially old barns, there are fewer old barns here now. Thanks Sandy!!

      Delete
  2. We are working on getting land to have our own little farm . Just wanted to give everyone a heads up. I am doing another game and giveaway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope that you acheive your goal soon Michelle!!

      Delete
  3. I feel the same way, Melanie! We are surrounded by fields and farmers! There is an irrigation system in the field next to us and I love to watch it move and spray water. His field is the only one in which the corn is still green. All the rest has turned brown in the heat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This year was tough on corn here, it was ready in June, what there was of it. I can't imagine living in a place where I could not see fields!!

      Delete

Thank you for visiting! Please leave me a comment, I would love to have a record of your visit! Anonymous comments will not be published!