Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Where I Live - Saying Goodbye


Saying goodbye is a part of life here. That does not make it any easier, it is still hard.
Late into the night Saturday, Clover laid down under the stars, in her favorite spot and went to sleep. 


 
The heat has been rough on the animals this year. My hens are not doing as well as last year, and last year was hotter than this year has been! Perhaps the humidity is worse this year. Whatever the reason it has taken a toll on the animals.


 
Clover had shelter in her area, fresh water at all times, and room to play. Caring for animals in extreme heat is not easy, and sometimes you are not lucky enough to keep them cool enough, such was the case with Clover. Parasites are a problem for goats, this was not why we lost Clover. The advice from our vet is to use a Famacha chart, it is an anemia guide. The tissue underneath her eye remained red as it should. I don't worm every month, but check their eyes regularly, if the tissue is pink, then it is time to worm.
Goats are susceptible to heat exhaustion. When a goat overheats, it pants. Goats don't have the ability to sweat.


 
The picture above is one of my favorites of Clover, she looks like she is smiling. Clover is the first goat that I ever had. I never knew just how much I would like goats. Their personalities are unique and amazing. Clover had a way with people, and everyone that met her couldn't help but like Clover. As a matter of fact, they fell in love with Clover! Even Daddy liked Clover, when he was able to come to my house, he would visit with Clover. She must have sensed that something was not right with Daddy because she treated him differently. She was extra gentle with Daddy.


 
Clover loved small animals, as long as they were not in her fence! She watched the chickens and ducks and had her favorites. Miss Ceelie and Hoppy were 2 of her favorites. Clover watched Hoppy become a mother, she kept a check on Hoppy when she became broody, and watched Hoppy raise her chick. Another favorite was a mean rooster, she was not happy when this was no longer his home!


 
Clover had nick names, we called her Cloe sometimes. When I was playing with her in her fence, I called her Clo-dean, she brushed against me when she heard that name. Her favorite game was when I put her cookies in my pocket, and got in her fence and pretended not to know what she wanted. She knew which pocket they were in. When she tired of the game, she stood against me, sometimes knocking me down. I can't prove it, but I think she smiled when that happened! She knew it was a game, never would have purposely harmed me.


 
Posted by Picasa

The day we got Clover, Bruce asked me where I was going to put her for the ride home, and I told him that I would hold her. He laughed, because he knows how I am and placed her in the cab of the truck. I pulled her into my lap, and she looked up at me and sniffed my face. That is the moment that I was hooked! She had me and she knew it. Our friendship grew from there.
Goodbye my friend. My cantankerous, mischievous, silly, loving, compassionate, and faithful friend. I will miss you!

14 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry about Clover -- she sounds like a good friend that will be missed. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nancy!!! She will be greatly missed, she made me laugh every day about something!!!

      Delete
  2. Oh I am so sorry you lost Clover, she is very pretty, I love all animals they bring such joy to our hearts! Hugs, Lynn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lynn!!! Animals do bring a lot of joy to our hearts!!!

      Delete
  3. Melissa, I'm so sorry about Clover! I know how it is to get so attached and then to lose one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh so sorry about your goat! Love the sweet pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sandy! She was fun to photograph! Always in desperate need of a cookie!

      Delete
  5. I am so sorry! I will miss all your post about Clover.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks V! You would have liked her! Sorry that you did not get to meet her!!

      Delete
  6. As I said in my note to you, I am so sorry for your loss. She was absolutely beautiful. What an angelic face. Thank your for sharing these lovely pictures of her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anangelic face huh? She would have loved you Peggy!!! Thanks!!

      Delete

Thank you for visiting! Please leave me a comment, I would love to have a record of your visit! Anonymous comments will not be published!