Monday, August 27, 2012

Irene

 
Posted by Picasa
Gladys, Irene and Doc


 
This week we lost a good laying hen, her name was Irene. Something tried to pull her through the fence; our guess is that it was a raccoon. Kevin came into the kitchen to tell me that something had happened to one of the girls. I asked him which one. Irritated, he looked at me and told me that he didn’t know her name. One would think that after being married to me for 9 years, he would know some of these things by now. He just said that it was the old Dominicker.
Duetta. Huetta, and Louetta had been our first chickens. Huetta and Louetta have gone on to that chicken yard in the sky. Admittedly I was sad. Duetta had eaten from my hand when she was a chick. Later that morning, I walked out there to check on things.
Irene, the young Dominicker/Americauna cross breed was missing! Irene was a lovely girl. Her mother had been a Dominicker and her father was the evil Americauna that taught me to carry a big stick into the chicken pen. Panicking, I began searching for her. I looked at Mister and told him that he was not doing his job. Mister stuck out his chest and the feathers on his neck went up, but he eyed the magic rooster stick in my hand, and wisely chose not to approach me. Clover’s empty pen was searched, Emmet’s pen and house were searched, I walked around the yard searching and calling. I went to Aunt Bea and Clara’s pen, no Irene. Suddenly, a Dominicker walked past. I stopped and looked, it was Duetta!
Kevin was wrong, but if Duetta is okay, then Irene was the victim. The realization began to sink in, my lovely Irene, the gentle girl with the blue feather at the bottom of each wing was gone. Honestly Kevin should take the time to learn their names to prevent further misunderstandings.
Clover would not have allowed this to happen. The remainder of the flock is on alert, hoping that this predator does not return. There will be fewer eggs now. Little Peep is not laying yet. Chickens have a shorter life span than people. It is my job to take care of them while they are here and enjoy the eggs! Next year, there may be more, and a list of potential names is ready for the newcomers.

12 comments:

  1. Oh, I'm so sorry about you loosing Irene. What pretty chickens and that is so sweet you've named them. Hope whatever stole Irene won't come around again!
    Thanks for poppingin to see me.
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope that it doesn't come back again too!!! It is always to good laying hens that you lose! Thanks for visiting!!!!!

      Delete
  2. Oh, so sad about your sweet Irene. I didn't know a raccoon would do that but then I don't know very much about chickens. Sure hope the other remain safe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lorraine! Yes, racoons can be mean!!! We hope that the problem is taken care of. Thanks!!!!!

      Delete
  3. Oh Melanie, I'm sorry about Irene!
    How upsetting for you to lose her :-(
    Can you set traps for racoons?
    We don't have them in Australia but the foxes, rats and possums might make up for that :-(
    We had 4 chooks (chickens) but had to give them away earlier this year.
    I named them Sarah, Rachel, Rebecca and Leah or "the blessing chooks" which are not to be eaten - only given away!
    I miss them and am planning to get some little bantams soon.
    Irene sounds like she was a lovely hen!
    Have a blessed day..Trish

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trish, we have the foxes, rats and possums too! Our guess is that it was a racoon, they are known to do things like that.
      Love your chickens names!!! Hope that you enjoy your new chicks, and the springtime coming to your area!!! Thanks Trish!!!!

      Delete
  4. I think it is so sweet you have them named. I am sorry you lost Irene. What a happy life she must have had being a chicken loved by you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandy, that is so very kind of you to say that!!! I enjoy my girls, can't always say the same about the rooster though!!! Thanks Sandy!!!!

      Delete
  5. I agree...Every chicken should have a name!
    Blessings and safety to you, Gladys, Irene and Doc.
    Smiles,
    Carolynn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you, and all of my girls, and even the mean roosters get names! But then again everything gets names here, can't help it, it is a sickness!!! LOL!! Thanks Carolynn!!!!

      Delete
  6. I am so sorry something got Irene, how sad. I understand they are your babies and I know you are sad. I know you are on high alert, whatever it was will probably be back, darn thing! I wish I had chickens, are they hard to take care of? Hugs, Lynn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lynn!! No, chickens are not hard to take care of, in fact they are the easiest of all the animals we raise. They have personalities and are fascinating to watch. Once you are using your own eggs, you will not want store bought eggs ever again!!! My girls eat vegetable and fruit scraps from the kitchen, dairy products that are close to expiration and in the winter I cook oatmeal for them on cold mornings. They really help me because things that might have been wasted are given to them (banans that are too ripe, potato peels, etc.) and in return they give me eggs with yolks that are orange. There is a huge difference in the quality of the eggs my girls lay and store bought, in fact there is no comparison!!! They do get some feed every day too and are allowed out to scratch around. I do not give them anything with salt. A chickens liver is not able to process salt. I would encourage you to try keeping 2 or 3, or even more, to find out how much you will enjoy it!!!

      Delete

Thank you for visiting! Please leave me a comment, I would love to have a record of your visit! Anonymous comments will not be published!