Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Monday Musing (a day late) - Technology

The truth about me is that I am not tech savvy, as my only offspring will quickly tell you. What this tech savvy daughter of mine has not realized yet, is that one day she will find herself in my shoes, as I have found myself in my own Mama’s shoes.
There was a time that I could not understand why Mama felt that way. Why did she seemingly resist the technology that would make life easier? Perhaps there are ways that technology could make my life easier. I imagine some super technical device that would automatically feed and water the animals, keep track of the things that my brain and eyes do, and would have some super technological stuff that would have to be done before you could press the button. Then I would miss the opportunity to interact with them, and how would Clover feel about that? More importantly to Clover, would this device deliver the treats that she expects, or rather demands?
Don’t get me wrong, the technological advances that have been made in the field of medicine have made the difference between life and death for many of us and are much appreciated. There are also numerous things that we enjoy and use in our modern lives. Internet, cell phones, coffee makers, and microwaves are but a few of the items that offer convenience to our lives. This was written on my husband’s stupid computer; and as much as I despise the thing it is easier than the manual typewriter that I learned to type on. Admittedly I had almost grown affectionate towards Windows XP when my own computer died; taking with it the old version of Microsoft Word that I almost liked and almost knew how to use. We consider these items, even if we find them annoying at times, necessities of life rather than luxuries.
While I have chosen to use these and other modern day conveniences, I also choose to do some things manually. Clover eats from my hand, as she expects, my husband’s meals are prepared manually, and various other chores are completed by human power. While you will find me on a couple of social networking sites, know that it is because of my tech savvy daughter. She drags me kicking and screaming into this changing world of technology.
This world changes quicker than I am able to learn it. I understand what Mama was talking about now, and must admit that I am not able to keep up with all of this technology either. Sitting here listening to the crickets, I realize that it is okay, and don’t care about my lack of tech knowledge. I am able to function without stopping to update my status on social networks, watching the latest, most popular whateveritis on TV and don’t have to txt my bff’s, while dismantling the English language.
When my daughter reads this, she will more than likely show up at my door, and force me to learn something new. The rumbling that you may feel and the sounds of screams that you may hear coming from the southern part of the county, will be because my daughter is again attempting to bring her mama into the 21st century.

12 comments:

  1. Love this post, Melanie. I can so relate. I often think that the things that are supposed to make our lives "easier" are often taking us away from the things that are the most enjoyable (which aren't always easy.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true Nancy! Glad that you enjoyed the post and thank you for visiting!!!

      Delete
  2. I have always been resistant to the new technologies too. I remember when my husband bought our cell phone in the 90's. My thoughts then were that the cell phone was too self-indulgent. Very thankful for them now and definitely prefer the computer to the typewriter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nonnie, I thought that those cell phones were too self indulgent too, but think differently now!!! I am also happy not to have to use that old manual typewriter, wonder what changes my daughter will see when she is may age and looks back!

      Delete
  3. My poor daughter is always helping me with my computer. She probable wishes I didn't get one. Even if it was her idea that I need one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad that she did talk you into getting one!!! Thanks for visiting Michelle!!!

      Delete
  4. loved this post..and I think about these concepts often. but ignorance IS bliss..I am unaware of the Facebook twitter craze...and I am happy..smiles... and the fact that I have a blog is really funny ..because I totally winged it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laughing with you!!! The fact that I have a blog is funny too, but I did this by myself!!!! She does not help with my blog, now I do have a Facebook, but she does that for me. Glad that you winged it, because I love what you do!!! Thanks for visiting!!!

      Delete
  5. Another fabulous post! Love your Monday Musings no matter what day they're on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Peggy, you provide so much encouragement!!!! I appreciate you so much!! Thanks again!!

      Delete
  6. Melanie..... you're such a breath of fresh air....... I love your honesty in your feelings.

    Thank you so much for your sweet comments on my blog, they mean the world to me.
    Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.
    Hugs,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, thank you Dolores!!! Thanks for visiting!!!

      Delete

Thank you for visiting! Please leave me a comment, I would love to have a record of your visit! Anonymous comments will not be published!