Friday, August 24, 2012

Yesterday's Visit With Daddy

Most days, I know that I will be lucky to get little flickers or glimpses of my sweet Daddy, yesterday was wonderfully different! When we were about to leave, I walked next to him and told him that I was about to go home. He asked when I would be able to come back. I told him that I would come back today, he smiled and said "Okay".  I leaned forward and kissed his cheek, as I did, he turned his face and kissed my cheek at the same time!!!! I said "I love you Daddy" and he looked at me and said "I love you too shugga, y'all be careful now". I wanted to cry tears of joy!!! As I was walking away he said, "I love you Baby". He understood what he was saying, and he understood what I said!!!!! It was brief, a few moments of clarity, much more than we usually get.

I was thrilled beyond words!!! I was a little heart sickened, because I asked God if Daddy could tell me he loved me, understand what it meant, smile and understand that I love him too before he leaves us. Is this the last time I will hear it? Is the time to leave us near? My head understands the situation, and it tries to talk to my heart and tell it all of those things. My heart does not always agree to see things the same way.

The short ride home, my mind replayed the incident over and over, trying to hold on to every second in my memory. If this was the last time, I want it recorded, so that I can look back at a happy memory. If it is not the last time, then it will remain a happy memory for me. My heart is afraid that it is the last time I will hear those words, but my heart feels that way each time that he says it to me. Life is precious and short, even if our loved ones are not sick, the time we spend with them should be treated as if it is special. After all, those exact moments will never happen again.

16 comments:

  1. Such a sweet memory! Hold onto to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Sandy, I will hold onto that sweet memory!!! Thanks!!!

      Delete
  2. Every moment is precious. I still play back over in my mind the memories of my parents. You are wise to recognize these times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nonnie!!! Those precious moments will sadly be a memory all too soon! Thanks for visiting!!!

      Delete
  3. Hi Melanie-
    What a sweet precious memory you have with your Dad.
    I know you will cherish it always. You and your dad are blessed to have each other.
    Imagine how blessed you felt today-- God gave you that moment.
    Sweet huh?
    Now. Imagine how blessed your dad felt today... God gave him that moment as well.
    {{HUGS}}

    --BLESSINGS! Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope that he felt even happier than I did!!! Thanks so much Pat!!!

      Delete
  4. I am so glad you had that moment. God answered your prayer, isn't that wonderful? We have a family member with Alzheimer's Disease and I understand what you are going through. I love that you will always have that moment. You have been blessed.
    Dolly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dolly, I am so sorry that you have a family member with this disease and that you are able to understand, I would not wish this on anyone!!! My heart goies out to you and your family!!! Thanks for visiting!!!!

      Delete
  5. So happy you had that moment with your sweet Daddy to hold onto -- blessings to you all :)

    Gail

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Gail!!! It was a moment worth holding on to!!!

      Delete
  6. Those moments are so very special..... and something to hang on to during the sad times. God is good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you are right!!! Thank you Dolores, you always have the right words!!!!

      Delete
  7. Oh that's wonderful - I'm so happy for you!!
    The Lord is kind and He has given you a sweet little blessing to let you know He is very close to you and your dad.
    Praying for more of these precious moments for you both!
    blessings..Trish

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a lovely moment to cherish. I'm so happy you had that and I pray it won't be the last.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Peggy!!! He did tell me that he loved me today!!!! I will just hold on to each sweet moment that I can get, even if it is only a piece of a moment!!!

      Delete

Thank you for visiting! Please leave me a comment, I would love to have a record of your visit! Anonymous comments will not be published!