Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Gran's Dresser

Gran was my maternal Grandmother. She lived a careful and frugal life, and believed in taking care of her things. Perhaps the things that she owned were not the most expensive or finest quality, but that was okay with her. Gran kept things neat and clean, that was important. 
This was her dresser. It is now in my bedroom.
 
 
My bedroom is not made up of fancy things, simply things that make me feel comfortable and make me smile. This dresser scarf came from a yard or estate sale. Some seamstress put her love and time into this piece, it makes me smile.
 
 
 
Bluebirds make me smile! Gran loved bluebirds too. This one was not hers, it has been with me for years.
 
 
 
A box of Gran's dusting powder sits on top the dresser.
 
 
 
Gran is on the right, the picture was taken on vacation. The quality is not as good as pictures now, but Gran is smiling in the picture. The baby on the left is me.
 
 
 
There are nicks and dings in this dresser from years of use. More than likely a few of those nicks and dents came from the grandchildren, myself included. "Don't run in the house" and "close the refrigerator" were two of the things that we heard the most from her! Sweet memories now!
 
 
 
There are some that would say refinish or paint this piece. Not me, I love each imperfection, and have no desire to change it! The accessories on top change as the mood strikes, but the dresser beneath those trinkets and pretties remains the same.
 
 
 
Posted by Picasa

Sweet memories from a precious Gran come to mind daily when I look at this piece.

Joining the following

Lavender Garden Cottage for Cottage Style Linky Party #11

Cozy Little House for Tweak It Tuesday

A Delightsome Life for Home and Garden Thursday

Trish's Heart & Home for Heart & Home link-up

Have A Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson for Share Your Cup Thursday

The Dedicated House for Make It Pretty Monday

From My Front Porch To Yours for Treasure Hunt Thursday

Stone Gable for Tutorial Tips and Tidbits

 

28 comments:

  1. Exactly how I decorate--with my memories! The dresser is lovely and your gran sounds like a wonderful lady.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! Gran was a wonderful lady, she left us with many happy memories!!! Thanks again!!

      Delete
    2. I love the dresser and the decorations with all the precious memories.... I wouldn't change a thing.
      You were blessed to have such a sweet gran and those sweet memories.
      Hugs,

      Delete
    3. Thank you Dolores!!! Gran was very sweet, I will always miss her, but treasure the time spent with her!!

      Delete
  2. How wonderful to have a piece of furniture that belonged to your gran! I have my grandmother's pie safe. Maybe I should do a post about it! I can relate to the words you remember your gran saying to you. This week I've said "close the refrigerator door" several times and "don't run in the house!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you should do a post about it, we would love that!!! Those will be sweet memories for those granddaughters!!! Thanks Jane!!!

      Delete
  3. What a special dresser. I love family pieces.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Carlene!!! Thanks for visiting!!!

      Delete
  4. How blessed you are to have such a special dresser that comes with so many wonderful memories. I wouldn't refinish it either. It's perfect as is. Thanks for visiting me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Foxxy!!! It is a special piece! Thanks for visiting me too!!!

      Delete
  5. I will take a piece of furniture and paint it in a heart beat......BUT......if I were fortunate enough to have something so special from a grand-parent, I would not go near it with a paint brush! Great for you, for being so fortunate :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I will too, but this was an exception, as you said, not going near it with a paint brush!! Thanks Teresa!!!

      Delete
  6. I wish I had something like that from my grandmother, I called her Ma. She has been gone several years now but how nice to think back on those memories. And I agree, no paint on that pretty piece. Hugs, Lynn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lynn!! No paint on that piece is right!!!

      Delete
  7. I wouldn't paint or refinish this piece, either. I think it's perfect just as it is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Paula, glad you think that it is perfect too!!!

      Delete
  8. Hi Melanie,
    thanks for linking up to Heart & Home.
    You decorate a lot like me :-)
    I think your dresser is very special and being a sentimental person, I wouldn't change anything about it either.
    The combination of timbers and the way they are used is very striking!
    The fragrance of your Gran's dusting powder must bring back sweet memories for you!
    blessings..Trish

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Trish!! I am glad that you like the dresser!! Thanks for visiting!!!

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. Thank you Debra!! Thank you for visiting!!!

      Delete
  10. I love your dresser! I have my hubby's grandma's dresser, and like you I've left it as is, and I like the imperfections! I'm your newest follower :)
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Susan!! Those old dressers are full of fabulous imperfections, and that sentimental attachment makes them even better! Thanks for visiting, commenting and following!!!! I appreciate it very much!!!!!

      Delete
  11. Melanie, what a sweet story. I too would leave the dresser as is. If you painted it the knicks of memories would all be covered up. Thanks for sharing with Share Your Cup.
    Hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, painting would cover up those memories! Thank you Jann!!!

      Delete
  12. Beautiful pieces and beautiful memories! They are really treasures for our heart.

    xo
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Pat! Thanks for visiting!!!

      Delete
  13. So glad I stopped by again, I was certain I had commented - this is an amazing dresser - such a treasure! I appreciate you sharing with Home and Garden Thursday,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alwys happy for you to stop by Kathy!!! Thank you very much, I do enjoy seeing that dresser every day!! Thanks!!!

      Delete

Thank you for visiting! Please leave me a comment, I would love to have a record of your visit! Anonymous comments will not be published!