Monday, September 10, 2012

Monday Musing - My Humorous Family

My family is funny, even though they don’t always realize that they are amusing. There have been times that I have been told not to write about some of the things that they do. The really good stuff remains unknown to the readers of these musings. These things will remain unwritten until I am an old lady, unless of course my sweet Honey Girl wants to write about them. Mama did not tell her that she couldn’t write about these things.
A friend from my childhood recently contacted me on Facebook, and sent a message that was complimentary and uplifting. My friend commented that he can relate to the things that are written here. That comment made me wonder, are there other families like mine?
Are these families breathing a sigh of relief that there is not a writer in the family? Do other families have a female that shocked and amazed gas station attendants with her strength, over 30 years ago in another town? Guessing that particular honor belongs to my family alone, and we are proud of it! That is one of those stories that I can’t write about.
What are other families doing that is funny? Do you have a possum hunter in your family? Is there a woman that points at her offspring and shouts “that is my baby” when she sees her child at busy intersections? Anyone with the guts to sing a bad country song while chasing their child through the store? What does your family wear when they chase an escaped goat?
We can’t be alone, there are others out there and we know it now. We are not by ourselves in this cruel and humorless world. Then the thought occurred to me, maybe that was not what my friend meant. Maybe they are normal. Maybe my friend was trying to tell me that the reason that he can relate to my stories is because we grew up together. Maybe he was just being nice. Maybe we are alone.
Whatever the reason, history repeats itself, so my family will continue to provide laughter for those around us in the stories that can be told and private laughter in the stories that are not supposed to be told. We choose not to believe that you are different from us, you just don’t have me in your family to see the humor in your actions.

9 comments:

  1. Melanie, I believe every family has its funny members and even some plain old nuts. I am just speaking from personal experience, of course. One set of our family members are the nuttiest and funniest people around. The three of them tell hilarious stories, jokes, pranks etc. The son is an adult now but he could make up humorous stories and skits even as a child. So, no you are not alone.
    Shannon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love it Shannon!!! That son needs a newspaper column too!!!

      Delete
  2. Hi Melanie, I just love to read your blog, and you are so very normal! however, I did not chase the goat, he chased me up a tree, Baaaaad goat! I think we all wonder if we are normal. What is Normal? My son and grandson are both so funny, sometimes my grandson "Hagen" and I will laugh till we lose our breath at something one of us has said or done. thanks for your lovely comments, Hugs, Lynn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lynn, I am so glad that you enjoy reading my blog!!!! Now your goat story is funny!!! Sounds like you and Hagen have a wonderful relationship! Thanks for visiting Lynn!!

      Delete
  3. Oh it's the crazy things that our families do that keeps us going. Imagine how boring the world would be without them. I love every crazy thing my family, and yes myself does! Laughter is so good for the soul. Your family sounds fun!
    Hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The world would certainly be much, much, much more boring without my family!!!! LOL!!! Thanks Jann!!!

      Delete
  4. Your cute post makes me feel normal.......
    Hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me just add that I am NOT the woman that broke down the bathroom door and I am NOT the woman that pretends to hunt possums. I am however the woman that points at her child at busy intersections and identifies her offspring. That is all that I am admitting for now.

      Delete

Thank you for visiting! Please leave me a comment, I would love to have a record of your visit! Anonymous comments will not be published!