Saturday, September 29, 2012

Weekend Grocery Shopping

My knees are weak and my head is spinning. That is the result of a grocery shopping trip! It isn't like I haven't been in a grocery store in months, I didn't go last week because we didn't need anything. But I am starting to wonder if we should consider taking out a loan to purchase a jar of peanut butter?

Yes, I am aware of drought conditions, I live in south Georgia! The dry ponds have not escaped my sight. I am also aware of the fields of corn planted for bio fuel!!!!! This all comes together to make me mad when I pay for our groceries. Stepping down from my soap box now, before I get wound up.

Perhaps stores should consider keeping E.M.T. personnel on site to help customers that faint, develop breathing difficulties, or even heart problems from the rising prices. An 8 ounce block of name brand cream cheese was $2.59!!! My husband jokingly said that we should get a cow. I asked him if he remembered how much we just paid for chicken feed?

8 comments:

  1. I spent just over $100 yesterday in the express lane. My thoughts always go out to the couples with kids and the elderly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My heart goes out to them as well! Disgusting and disheartening to visit the grocery store now!!! Thanks Nonnie!!

      Delete
  2. I totally and completely understand. That's why we slaughtered our chickens for meat!
    I don't grow peanuts but have often thought of all the things I should probably try and grow...so I can make it myself.

    ...Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We haven't slaughtered chickens yet, never say never! Guess that I am scared to try it!! Peanut butter,and peanut products, should come down according to what I hear and read. There is expected to be a record crop this year. Rain is in the forecast for the next few days here - rain is not good if peanuts are on top of the ground!!! Time will tell. We don't grow peanuts either, my husband does not farm, I am however the daughter of a farmer. These are things that I have heard about all of my life. Guess that is why I think of them so much. I understand the importance that farming has on our economy.

      There are thing that I want to learn grow too, celery for one. It would be great to learn how to grow it rather than buy it!! Thanks Pat!!!!

      Delete
  3. I know the prices are insane. The mashed potatoes I make for thanksgiving take 4 "bars" of cream cheese. I need to start saving now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Insane is a good description!!!! Grocery prices are scary now!!! Thanks Sandy!!

      Delete
  4. I was in shock when I went for a tub of butter. I ended up getting margarine instead and it was still almost 4 dollars a tub. We grow a garden every year as a hobby. Now it's a necessity.We even made it a lot bigger this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sickening isn't it? Guessing that more people will take up gardening next year as a means of making ends meet, that is not a bad thing though. We did not put in a garden this year - we knew that time for a garden would be short due to current circumstances. Literally paying the price for that decision!! Thanks Michelle!!

      Delete

Thank you for visiting! Please leave me a comment, I would love to have a record of your visit! Anonymous comments will not be published!