Tuesday, October 2, 2012

New Old Cabinet and Loving Pfaltzgraff

 
This cabinet has been with me for a number of years. It was painted country blue when I bought it from a friend. Yes, it is that old! It has been blue, cream, and now it is white. The hardware was painted when they painted the cabinet, a pet peeve of mine, and had to be cleaned or replaced. I chose to clean it. After a good cleaning and scrubbing, all  of the pieces were not the same color! What else to do but grab a can of black spray paint and make all of the hardware the same color.
 
 
The glass from the doors had been replaced with chicken wire and it was left that way. However time and several paint jobs left their mark on the chicken wire. We (meaning my husband) removed the chicken wire and cut some more to go in place. This job turned out to be a bigger booger than we intended. Having saved the old wire and remembering that the hinges came out well, I painted the chicken wire black. It fit right back into place perfectly!
 
 
 
This cabinet is used daily and our everyday dishes are here. The dishes are made by Pfaltzgraff and the pattern is Remembrance. This pattern came on the market around 1984. So it is not old, but still lovely. It is a pattern that I have admired for some time and found this set at King Cotton Antiques.
 
 
 
It is a soft, feminine pattern and works well in my farmhouse kitchen.
 
 
 
The previous owner must have been a southern bride. There are 6 sherbet dishes with this set. There is a slight difference in two of the soup/cereal bowls too. My guess is that the pieces were purchased individually, as would have been done if these dishes were wedding or bridal shower gifts.
 
 
 
The coffee cups even look happy are ready for a steaming cup of tea or coffee.
 
 
 
 
Jelly jars are our everyday glasses.
 
 
Pfaltzgraff dishes are heavy duty and hold up well for daily use, as well as pretty to look at and display.
 
 
 
A few of my favorite cookbooks rest on top this cabinet. They are each well loved and used.
 
 
 
This "new" old cabinet fits right into my farmhouse kitchen. Several sets of dishes have lived here, but knowing my love for Pfaltzgraff they will not live here forever.
 
 
 
The pattern below has captured my attention, and is the reason that the red shelf liner was purchased.
 
 
 
Posted by Picasa

The hunt is on!

Linking to

Trish's Heart and Home for Heart and Home link up

Rose Chintz Cottage for What's in Your Cabinet

Cozy Little House for Tweak It Tuesday

Savvy Southern Style for Wow Us Wednesday

Lavender Garden Cottage for Cottage Style Linky Party

 A Delightsome Life for A Return to Loveliness

Ivy and Elephants for What's It Wednesday

Have A Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson for Share Your Cup Thursday

Stone Gable for Tutorials, Tips and Tidbits

 

38 comments:

  1. What a cute cabinet filled with lots of pretty things!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jennifer and thanks for visiting!!!

      Delete
  2. Love your cabinet! I have the Cotton Country Cookbook from my years of living in New Orleans! Visiting form Cozy Little House!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda!! That is a good cookbook isn't it? Glad that you came by for a visit!!

      Delete
  3. Hi Melanie,
    I really like your cabinet and I like the chicken wire too. Your dishes are very pretty and the soft pattern is lovely. I'm so glad you have joined me for my tea party. I am your newest follower. Have a wonderful week.

    Blessings,
    Sandi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sandi!! Loved the idea for your party!!! Thank you for visiting and following!!!!

      Delete
  4. I have my MIL's cabinet that is much like this. I placed chicken wire in the doors after my husband broke one moving it. Yours looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That makes your cabinet even more special since your MIL had it!! Thank you and thanks for stopping by!!!

      Delete
  5. You cupboard has seen a lot of paint changes over the years! It looks really nice with the chicken wire frontage, so that you can see a hint of the lovelies behind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!!! And thanks for stopping by!!!

      Delete
  6. I love your little dish cabinet. It's a great way to display your pretties.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad that you like it Teresa!! Thanks for stopping by!!!

      Delete
  7. Looks very farmhouse cute--very nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sandy!! Thanks for stopping by!!!

      Delete
  8. I love ,love, this cabinet.I will have to show this to my husband to see if he could make me one.I even have a spot for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great idea Michelle!!! If you have a spot for it, then you really need it!!! Thanks for visiting!!!

      Delete
  9. I love your country cabinet with the chicken wire. I have one almost just like it...it, too, was country blue at one time...and had chicken wire. I painted it black several years ago and because we live in West Texas where the sand blows a lot, we replaced the wire with glass. I have it filled with white ironstone in my living room. :)
    Over from Lavender Garden Cottage...:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks BJ!!! Painting the cabinet black and adding ironstone sounds lovely!!! It is a versatile cabinet, there are so many lovely ways to use it. Will remember that awesome idea!!! Thanks for visiting!!!

      Delete
  10. Your vintage cabinet is really sweet. I like the chicken wire in the doors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Pamela!!! Glad that you like it too!!! Thanks for visiting!!!

      Delete
  11. Your cabinet came out great, good idea to spray paint the hardware and chicken wire. So nice you use it every day! Laura

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spray paint can work wonders!! Thanks for visiting!!!

      Delete
  12. I got a new bookshelf- it isn't even pretty or old but I love the way it holds my things!! Just love getting something "new"- my bookshelf was at least FREE!! Fun to just rearrange little touches. Your cabinet is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, it is fun to arrange things!! Free makes it even more fun!! thanks for visiting!!!

      Delete
  13. There's something about little cabinets like yours that I can hardly resist. Yours is so charming in white. I love it!
    Mary Alice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mary Alice!! Thanks for visiting too!!!

      Delete
  14. HI Melanie, what a lovely cupboard you have there.
    I am very partial to old kitchen cabinets and dressers and you've redone yours beautifully.
    Painting the hardware and wire was a great idea!
    I think chickenwire instantly says "country" when added to things - I love it :-)
    Your dishes are very sweet and the blue and white will look faulous peeking through the wire!
    Thanks for linking up this week.
    God bless you..Trish

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Trish!! Can't wait to get those dishes!! Thanks for visiting too!!!

      Delete
  15. Hi Melanie! Oh, I love your sweet cabinet and the dishes are so pretty. Don't you just love Pfaltzcraft? I love the weight of them and this is really a sweet pattern! Love how they look in your little cabinet! Thanks so much for popping in to see me and it's great to be home!
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Shelia!Yes I do love them, they are great dishes, and the patterns are so pretty. Thanks for visiting and glad that you are home. we missed you!!!

      Delete
  16. Your cupboard is really nice...I like the black hardware and wire... a gentle country look. I like the pattern on your dishes.
    Have a good Day
    Barb from Australia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Barb!!! Love the description of "a gentle country look" very much, how sweet of you!!! Thank you for visiting!!!!

      Delete
  17. Cutting chicken wire is not easy! It was a good thing that you saved the old wire and repainted it. I used to have a cabinet like yours years ago. Wish I had it back now, and I would put some chicken wire in it, too! Good luck on the hunt. I can let you know if I come across any at the auction that I go to each week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Was glad that I had saved it just in case too!! The hunt is part of the fun!!! That is so nice of you to offer to help!!! Blogging friends are the best!!!!!

      Delete
  18. I love chicken wire in cabinets and yours painted in white is terrific! I had one I loved in a country house we had 12 years ago. Have a happy hunting. Enjoy the weekend.
    FABBY

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Fabby!!! You have a great weekend too!!! Thanks for visiting!!

      Delete
  19. Hi Melanie, I have no idea how I missed this post. I love your cabinet, and have been wanting something to "re-do" and use chicken wire in. Hubby has some stashed at the shop, but doesn't know that I know this (sshhhh, don't tell that I have been meddling, lol). I am ignorant to most dishes, but yours are just lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are describing the urges that I get and then I go plundering around too!! But I have learned that I have to go ahead and pull out what I want, because he can "forget" what I asked for! LOL!! I am ignorant to most dishes, but Pfaltzgraff dishes stole my heart years ago! Thanks for visiting!!!!

      Delete

Thank you for visiting! Please leave me a comment, I would love to have a record of your visit! Anonymous comments will not be published!