Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Bookcase Redo

 
Last year, I decided to redo the table and chairs in the dining room. Our dining room is not a formal room, but it suits this old farmhouse just right. I was itching to get my brush on the bookcase in the background, but the real world had a different idea.
 
 
The china cabinet was in need of some TLC and received the same treatment. 
 
 
Then the moment that I decided that if this was to be done, then the only way to get it done was to just jump in with both feet and start working. The bookcase was painted with a flat paint, then antiqued with a stain and finally waxed with 2 coats of wax.
 
 
 
We had purchased some wallpaper leftovers at a yard sale last summer. My husband asked what I planned to do with them. I was not sure, but I knew that I liked the patterns and a project would come along.
 
 
 
He patiently matched and hung the paper on the shelf. Afterwards, he told me that getting any ideas about hanging wallpaper on the walls could possibly result in divorce. Fortunately for me, I like painted walls, guess that I will continue to like painted walls!
 
 
 
We, meaning he, hung a different pattern on each shelf. Please forgive the quality of these pictures, there is almost no natural light in this room. It is difficult to get good pictures.
 
 
 
I am pleased with the look of this new and old shelf.
 
 
 
This was his first try at hanging wallpaper, I think he did a great job! We have some left, now what can I do next? Hmmmmm...
 
 
 
Posted by Picasa
Time to begin decorating for Christmas, can't wait to get this shelf ready for Christmas!

 

10 comments:

  1. Great idea! And great job getting the 'paper work' done too.
    Save your marriage...buy more paint! he he he
    :) Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL!! Yes, will be buying paint instead of paper!! He did a good job though! Thanks for visiting Pat!!

      Delete
  2. How beautiful these pieces came out! I have a large project I would like to paint. It is the beginning part that is hard :) You did a lovely job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes the beginning part is the hardest part! I just had to make up my mind to jump in and do it!! Thanks for visiting Lorraine!!

      Delete
  3. Hi Melanie,
    Your bookcase looks great! What a great idea to use wallpaper on the back. These large projects have to be tackled when you're really in the mood to do them! And if you're not in the mood, they can be a BEAR!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jane! My dining room is dark, so I really wanted to lighten up this bookcase. You are right, big projects can be a bear!!! The time was right, so I just jumped on it!! Thanks for visiting!!

      Delete
  4. Your bookcase looks great! Can't wait to see how you deck it out for Christmas.
    be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shelia!! Decorating something "new" is fun!! Thanks for visiting!!

      Delete
  5. Love it! I am going to do my book shelves in the great room after the holidays, but......I am going to use the fabric and liquid starch...just incase. I am however wanting to do a whole room in toile wallpaper! Ya think wallpaper could be making a comeback?? Oh my, I remember how hard that stuff is to get off the walls when you decide you don't want it anymore. Love what you have done with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Teresa!! If wallpaper makes a comeback, I won't have any unless I hang it myself or hire someone else to do it! I do however like using wallpaper to line drawers with, or for craft projects. When I find leftovers at yard sales I will buy the patterns that are pretty to me.
      Thanks for visiting!!

      Delete

Thank you for visiting! Please leave me a comment, I would love to have a record of your visit! Anonymous comments will not be published!