Monday, November 5, 2012

Monday Musing - Desperately Seeking A Coffee Maker

 
Posted by Picasa
It happened again this week, the demise of another coffeemaker. Perhaps the demands of a daily pot of coffee were more than this machine could handle. This past week the first cup was fine, the second cup tasted burnt. We have a problem! So I did the normal things, cleaned the coffee maker again, checked on the Internet for a solution etc., and nothing seemed to help. My beloved coffee maker was done, kaput, finished, over and dead.
 
There were options; we could make 2 cups of coffee at a time, which was inconvenient. There was the option of making a pot as usual, turning the machine off and warming up the coffee a cup at the time in the microwave. That option was quickly cast aside, the burnt coffee had a better taste than coffee warmed in the microwave. It was now time to consider the purchase of a new machine.
 
There are a variety of coffee makers on the market and a variety of prices as well. There are machines that can be programmed to start your coffee for you and admittedly Kevin and I both find this option attractive. Unfortunately for me it would require that the instruction manual be read. Daddy always called them destruction manuals. My ADD kicked in and I began to ponder why my family seems to be unable to read instruction manuals, now back to reality. I could just get Kevin to read the manual and program the machine for me, but what if he forgets? There would be no coffee in the morning!
 
There are as many decisions to make when attempting to purchase a coffee maker as there are opinions. There is cowboy coffee, made in a percolator over an open fire, not an option for me! There are various types of machines, and percolators, stove top and electric, and a French Press. There is cold brewed coffee, iced coffee and instant coffee. There are choices for the type of coffee, dark roast, medium roast, gourmet etc, and the type of water used. such as spring, tap, distilled etc.. What is blonde coffee and why would anyone drink it?
 
My head was beginning to ache with the options available. We had to make a decision, so we chose to pull out our French Press, for now anyway. It offers a deliciously smooth cup of coffee and there are no filters to buy. Cleaning is simple, it fits in the dishwasher. There is also the benefit of less counter top clutter. I will exercise my right to change my mind. My feelings will be different one cold winter morning when I need coffee quickly.

14 comments:

  1. Oh no! I'm not a coffee drinker but my hubby is and he drinks the whole pot every morning. He would croak if the coffee maker went out, which it has before. He doesn't even ask me and just went to get one! You know I think the French presses are so pretty and even have one but have never used it! :) If I lived closer I'd give it to you and you'd have one and your hubby would have one! Thanks for popping in to see me.
    Be a sweetie,
    shelia :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a dire situationb to be without a coffee maker!! Yes, that French press is pretty and it makes a smooth cup of coffee, it must be drank right then, can't keep it hot. What a sweet offer Shelia! You must know how badly we think we need that cup of coffee!! Thanks for visiting me!!

      Delete
  2. I've gone through so many types of coffee makers, but I've never heard of a French Press. From what you said, it sounds great.

    Our daughter bought us a Keurig for Christmas last year. I like it, but the pods are expensive and it only makes a cup or mug at a time.

    Hope you have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A French Press does make a delicious tasting coffee. Mine has a plastic bottom, so I can't keep the coffee hot. I have seen those Keurig coffee makers, I was afraid that it would be inconvenient for us, making only 1 cup at a time - we need more than that!!!
      Thanks for visiting me and wishing you a wonderful week too!

      Delete
  3. Coffeepots don't seem to have a very long life. My husband has been through several!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, they don't!! Last year we bought a plain simple coffee maker with one button, no bells and whistles. We had hoped that a simple machine would last longer, guess that we were wrong!!!
      Thanks for visiting Lisa!!!

      Delete
  4. If I don't run a cup of vinegar through ours once a week, they're dead in about six months. We have very hard water so we only buy the cheapy kind and hope for the best. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do the same Nancy, or ours would not have lasted as long as it did!! Thanks for visiting!!

      Delete
  5. Oh...I sure know your dilemna. I am looking at a coffee pot that is nearing it's end. There are so many options out there. Door number 1, Door number 2 or Door number 3??? That is the question!
    I do love a fast cuppa coffee....but, ahhh....The French Press taste! It just can't be beat!
    Have a great day, my friend!
    Blessings,
    Carolynn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like the way you put that, Doors 1, 2, and 3!!! You are right, that French Press taste can't be beat!!! I know that I will give in and buy another coffee maker simply because of the convenience! Thanks for visiting Carolyn!!!

      Delete
  6. Melanie, I had to laugh, as we have been through this coffee-dance several times over the years. We are not gourmet coffee drinkers, but I do have a certain preference for a clean tasting coffee. :)

    Hope the right machine "calls to you" when the time comes. Meanwhile, enjoy your french press brew. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That will be wonderful when it does call to me and stay with me for a few years!! LOL!! Thanks for visiting Marsha!!

      Delete
  7. Buy the cheap kind! I got the beautiful black and chrome model, with the timer. I thought how nice it will be to get up to freshly made coffee. Well, you do have to read the manual, and UH? One year later, I still have to get up and make the coffee! LOL! Just don't get it. Hugs, Lynn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the heads up Lynn!! That is probably what we will do, get the cheap one. They just don't last long enough to justify spending money on an expensive model! Thanks for visiting!!!

      Delete

Thank you for visiting! Please leave me a comment, I would love to have a record of your visit! Anonymous comments will not be published!