Thursday, November 29, 2012

"New" Laundry Room Sign

When we moved into this house, (5 years ago) the laundry room was, well less than desirable. I wondered what and how to do something with it. This has been a problem room. Every idea that I had never looked right to me for some reason. Finally I decided to paint the room a soft green and paint the trim white. This gave me a clean look that I was pleased with.
 
The next question was, what to hang on the walls? I used some old things that I had and was still dissatisfied. Everything seemed like an odd assortment of junk thrown together. One day while browsing blogs, the idea to use black hit me. More to come on that!
 
 
 
My husband had taken down an old ceiling fan. I asked him to save the paddles. He looked at me like I had apparently lost my mind and asked "why". I didn't have a particular project in mind, but knew that something would come to mind.
 
Yes, that is really an ugly ceiling fan blade in the picture below. That side now faces the wall and will no longer offend my eyes.
 
 
 
I painted the flat side with two very thin coats of white paint, then painted the words. After it dried it was distressed it a bit.
 
There are 3 holes at the top of the blade that needed to be hidden. My husband had the idea to use some rusty chain to hang the blade. This made the holes appear to have a use.
 
 
 
This now hangs in a narrow space between the shelves and a window. The hardest part about this project was making sure that it was imperfect, I wanted a handmade look. It seems as if each time I try to make something imperfect, it would be easier to make it appear perfect.
 
 
 
Posted by Picasa

Everything that we used for this project was something that we already had. Making this a no cost project! We also found a use for something that would have been thrown away.

Linking to

My Rosewood Cottage for Heart and Home linkup

From My Front Porch to Yours for Treasure Hunt Thursday

Have A Daily Cup Of Mrs. Olson for Share Your Cup Thursday

Stone Gable for Tutorials Tips and Tidbits

Fresh Eggs Daily for Farm Girl Blogfest

Deborah Jean's Dandelion House for Farmgirl Friday

The Thrifty Groove for Thrifty Things Friday

The Chicken Chick for Clever Chicks Blog Hop

Funky Junk Interiors for Saturday Night Special





 

24 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you!! The price was right too!!

      Delete
  2. What a great idea. I have an old fan in the garage that could use a touch like this. I could do signs for my quilting room.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to share an idea that you could use Michelle!!

      Delete
  3. Great idea for the fan blades!
    My daughter has some she is saving for me ...I haven't thought of anything to do with them. But painting signs is a good start!

    Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a flat surface, so I thought that I needed to paint it! LOL!! Guess that I think that everything needs painting! Thanks Pat!!

      Delete
  4. Love your laundry sign and that you upcycled materials:) Following you now. Follow me too. I posted http://www.sewsweetvintage.com/2012/11/reversible-holiday-note-board.html to the daily cup party:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for following me and headed over to your blog now!

      Delete
  5. Hi Melanie,
    What a marvelous project.....you and your Hubby are very clever.
    Have a good day
    Barb from Australia

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Melanie!
    I LOVE what you did with the fan blade and I'm all inspired to do the same.
    We actually have exactly the same fan-light in our entry room and have never liked it.
    It was here when we bought the house.
    Can't wait to change it and play with blades now ;-)
    Great laundry project!
    Thanks for linking up to Heart & Home.
    Have a blessed week..Trish x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Trish!! So glad that you found inspiration here!!! Thank you for visiting!!!

      Delete
  7. I love your sign and even more so that you used a fan blade to make it, great idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Thank you for visiting, hope that you will come back again!!

      Delete
  8. Hi Melanie! Oh, that's is such a cute idea. I would never have thought of anything like this! Glad you're laundry room is coming together the way you like it. Thanks for popping in to see me.
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Shelia!! It has been fun work!! Thank you again!!

      Delete
  9. What a clever idea! Don't you just love making something creative out of a cast off?!
    Love this!
    Blessings and thanks for stopping by and for your kind comment.
    Carolynn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carolynn!! Yes, it does feel good to make something out of a cast off!! Thanks again!!!

      Delete
  10. What a fun and clever idea. I love it when I can create something for nothing. Well, except for a little hard work. Thanks for sharing with Share Your Cup.
    Hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The price was right on this one! It really didn't take that much work either. Thanks Jann!!!

      Delete
  11. What a cute idea for those old ceiling fan blades! I love that idea. Thank you for sharing it with us last week on TTF. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Diann!! Thanks for visiting!!!

      Delete

Thank you for visiting! Please leave me a comment, I would love to have a record of your visit! Anonymous comments will not be published!