Monday, November 12, 2012

Walking for Daddy

 
Posted by Picasa
 
This past Saturday, the Central Georgia Walk to End Alzheimer’s was held at the Perry Fairgrounds. My daughter led a team named The Memory Makers. The team was small, consisting of Katie, her dad, myself and Kevin. What this team lacked in quantity, it made up for in quality. Katie’s efforts made her a member of the Champions Club, an honor reserved for those raising over five hundred dollars. We haven’t met our goal yet, but there is some time left.
The event began with a Purple Pancake Breakfast. The opening ceremony featured local people who had been affected by Alzheimer’s in one way or another. Flowers were raised to honor those with Alzheimer’s and remember those that had Alzheimer’s. As of this writing, this district has raised over $144,000 towards finding a cure for this disease. It was an emotional day.
My daughter is an amazing young woman; she took up this cause without the guidance of her mother. She had to react. I follow her lead, and again she made a difference in my life.
Reading the stats on this disease shakes me to the core of my being with the realization that every person will feel the fallout from the disease in some way. Some will develop the disease; some will care for someone with the disease. Some will lose a precious loved one to the disease. Some will lose a friend. Think about the many ways that this will affect you, and it may not happen once, it may happen several times. If you think you will escape the effects, there is the increasing cost of caring for patients. Estimated costs to provide care for 2012 are about $200 billion in the United States alone. Those costs will increase annually. You will be affected.
November is National Alzheimer’s Awareness Month. Seeing how the demon called Alzheimer’s affects my precious Daddy, knowing that my loved ones are vulnerable, knowing that people I have known all of my life are vulnerable, knowing that people I have never met are vulnerable, and knowing people that live with the beast, I find it impossible to sit back and do nothing. Each time I can’t remember something, I find myself wondering if the demon has his eye on me as well.  This is a battle for lives, and we are each involved in this battle. We can’t change things for Daddy, but we will continue to fight, for him, ourselves and for you.


6 comments:

  1. So awesome that your daughter takes the lead and you follow along..good for you guys! This is a problem in our family too--sure hope they find a cure. Scares me to think I could have it someday myself. I am very happy you are fighting for the health of all of us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THanks Sandy!! They can't find a cure fast enough!!!

      Delete
  2. Your daughter is a wonderful person!

    And, I agree, everytime I lose a thought, I think, is it the beginning of it for me.

    I continue the fight alongside you. Keep the faith.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the kind words. It does get scary doesn't it! Thank you for fighting with us, this will affect us all in some way!!!

      Delete
  3. What a blessing your daughter is to so many. I pray for a cure....soon!
    Hugs,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dolores, we too pray for that cure that sadly will not help our precious loved ones. My heart aches for them - no words for that hurt. Knowing Daddy's character and the many lessons he lovingly taught me, I will move forward, helping those that I can. My daughter makes me proud!! She looks beyond herself to help others! Thanks you Dolores, you are an inspiration to me and many others!!!

      Delete

Thank you for visiting! Please leave me a comment, I would love to have a record of your visit! Anonymous comments will not be published!