Monday, December 31, 2012

Monday Musing - Atticus and the Missing Ornaments

 
Posted by Picasa

This past week the Christmas decorations were taken down. It was not hard, as there were not many this year. We did purchase a large container of Christmas tree ornaments, 36 shatter resistant ornaments to be exact.  These were brand spanking new, and it would be easy to count the ornaments coming off of the tree. 36 went on the tree so 36 should come off of the tree. The ornaments were used at the bottom of the tree, just in case Atticus felt the need to play with the tree.

We began taking the ornaments off of the tree, 32 ornaments came off of the tree. We counted again. Kevin looked underneath the china cabinet. There were no ornaments there.  He looked under the buffet; there were no ornaments there either. The decorations were too big to roll under the bookcase or the piano. We looked under the couch, the big comfy chair, the desk and the TV stand. No ornaments were found. This doesn’t make sense, they didn’t just disappear into thin air! The whole incident was bringing the Christmas Tree Catastrophe of 2010 to mind and the headache that I get behind my eye was starting. I took a deep breath and yelled “Atticus where are you?”

Atticus was innocently napping on my side of the bed. I spoke his name and he slowly turned his head to look at me. As if to ask “did you call me?” “Where are the ornaments” I demanded, as if he could speak. He can’t, but he wouldn’t tell me where the missing ornaments were if he could. Atticus would blame the dog. The dog that does not go near the tree. Honey does not bother anything; much less steal ornaments from the Christmas tree. Atticus would then remind me that my very own Mama likes him, as well as all of my friends!

Atticus wins this one, the ornaments are missing, Atticus believes that he is innocent, and he knows that the members of Team Atticus are behind him. Atticus has just walked into the room, and is making his way to the big comfy chair to resume his nap. He wins again, or does he? He has forgotten one very important detail – I control the cat treats, and just can’t seem to find them anywhere, not even under the big comfy chair. We’ll see how fast those ornaments turn up now!

10 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, that could be the answer!! He ate them!! Laughed when I read that and he looked up at me! Wherever they are, he isn't talking!! Fortunately they are too large for him to swallow!!! Thanks Nancy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, that's funny. They will turn up when you least expect them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I will walk in one day and he will be playing with them!! He will of course act innocent and sweet!! This could have been the plan all along! LOL!!

      Delete
  3. LOL! I am missing 2 pieces of our Little People nativity, but they'll turn up....in July I'm sure ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. July is always a good time because the LAST thing you feel like doing in the heat of summer is finding the right box for the missing pieces!! LOL!!

      Delete
  4. I have a cat that does the same thing,only hers is jewelry My husband lost his watch.I lost several necklaces,earrings, and a few bracelets. We know it was Dusty because we had caught her with them in her mouth before.She loves shiny. We couldn't find them no matter how hard we tried. We were getting ready to move to California as we lifted my husbands lazy boy to move it, all the missing jewelry fell to the floor. There was an opening between the set and the gears that work the chair. Her perfect hiding place. We now know where to look,only problem is smarty pants found another spot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dusty and Atticus are not allowed to talk to each other on the computer then!! They do not need to trade ideas!! I laughed when I read your story, if only Atticus had thought of it first, he would have done it!! Thanks for the laugh Michelle!!

      Delete
  5. How can a cat that's so beautiful and 'innocent' looking do anything naughty. lol!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh no!! Another memeber of Team Atticus!! LOL!! He has lots of experience!!! I broke down and gave him his cat treats today, guess that I will never find the ornaments now!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting! Please leave me a comment, I would love to have a record of your visit! Anonymous comments will not be published!