Monday, December 24, 2012

Monday Musing - Finding My Christmas Joy

 
Posted by Picasa


We are not the first family to lose a loved one during the Christmas season or in the past year. My heart aches for each family that grieves. We each grieve in our own way, and have our reasons for our feelings. I sit in judgment of no one.

That loss forces me to take a closer look at the reality of my situation, and to remember some important lessons that I have been taught by my parents. There are many “no mores” that we will face. Christmas Day brunch was a big deal in my family. Daddy helped Mama get ready for that special event, he made the sausage balls. That is a “no more” for me. There are “no mores” for Daddy too. No more confusion, no more suffering, and no more Alzheimer’s. There is joy in those “no mores”.

Christmas is the time we celebrate the greatest gift given to us. Daddy realized the value of God’s gift. That is where my joy is this Christmas. Because of this undeserved gift, my future is different, and I hope that yours is too! While I was not able to look into Daddy’s heart and see all of his feelings, I did see the example he set for us, remember the lessons he taught us and the things he told us.  My joy is in the realization of God’s gift first and foremost. Knowing where Daddy is, and one day we will see him again is just another reason to feel Christmas joy. My joy is one less victory for the Alzheimer’s Grinch. He has stolen enough and I refuse to give the demon this victory.

There are fewer Christmas decorations in our home this year; shopping and baking have not been done. Time has not allowed these things to be accomplished. There will be little of either. Kevin and I agree that those things are nice, but not a requirement for our joy.

There will be no more sausage balls made by Daddy, but there is no more suffering for Daddy. He has the best “no mores”; he also has His Christmas Joy this year!

Merry Christmas to each one of you! Wishing that you each find your Christmas Joy and the realization of God’s greatest gift is a reality for you. May your “no mores” become precious memories and a reminder of your future.

 

 

7 comments:

  1. So sorry for your loss but it does sound like it was his time. Sending comfort to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please accept my sincerest condolences on the loss of your father. You have the most amazing way of seeing the beauty in life...and loss. I am constantly inspired by you. You and your family are in my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you friend! Yes, there is beauty in life and in loss. Thank you so much for your comment!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing your insight - lots of wisdom there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Sweet Tea, it is the only way I can look at it!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I too am remembering my no mores this Christmas, no more moist delicious dad made fruit cake, I am blessed to have the recipe available and will soon go and pick it up and make it, just in memory of him.
    I love the way you have written about your Christmas.
    Although my children have decorated my house, my heart has not truly been in all of the Christmas celebrations. Tears are still running down my cheeks as I am writing this now. I know your pain and the knowledge of the hope that tells you all is well for him now, and the heart that still longs for him.
    I pray that time and prayer will heal, and that joy that passes all understanding will soon again over-run from your being, thankyou for sharing your Christmas Joy.
    Blessings NEll

    ReplyDelete
  7. Big hugs Nell!!! Thank you for your kind words! I am glad that you have the recipe for your Dad's fruit cake! I hope that it brings you some comfort right now. Thank you again for your kind words, I am wishing the same for you!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting! Please leave me a comment, I would love to have a record of your visit! Anonymous comments will not be published!