Friday, December 28, 2012

What I Learned About Christmas

This year Christmas was different for me. It was not something that I have ever experienced before. But I learned some things.
 
 
 
There are people that care about me, and my family. I never took the time to think about it or question it, but I found out there are. They reached out to us in many ways.
 
 
 
We had fewer decorations this year, and it was okay. The Christmas Decorating Police did not knock on my door and demand that I put out more immediately. There was almost no baking, just a coffee cake. It was okay, in fact it was not important at all. Christmas came anyway. This was not a season of celebration for us, it was difficult. It was a time that I was able to sit quietly, reflect, and accept new reality.
 
 
 
There were hardly any presents, and it was okay. I don't feel deprived of material gifts. There were lots of prayers, hugs, phone calls, visits, emails, cards and people who saw us and just wanted to let us know that they were thinking about us. Guess that you could say that our gifts were not wrapped this year.
 
 
 
Posted by Picasa
I learned that it is okay if I didn't get the shopping done, and it is okay if there is no baking. The decorating is not essential either. Christmas will come if I am happy or sad.
 It is okay.

Admittedly the tree is down and the decorations put away and I am not sad about that choice. This year I was glad to put them away, and that is okay.
 

10 comments:

  1. Our prayers are still with you and your family. May this new year bring peace and serenity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is more than "OK".
    Mine will be down as soon as I have the time to do so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right! Thank you Sweet Tea!!!

      Delete
  3. Christmas isn't about the gifts for me--it is about showing people you love them. I am anxious to get my Christmas stuff put away!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to have mine put away now. Thanks Sandy!!

      Delete
  4. Melanie,

    You sound peaceful & a bit melancholy. Glad you made it through this 'first'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that describes it peaceful and melancholy. The first was hard, but it is behind me now. Thank you DFW!!

      Delete
  5. Melanie, the unwrapped gifts you received were the gifts you needed, the things that really matter ... all those friends, prayers, hugs, cards, emails, etc. The "firsts" are difficult. The joy you described in your previous blog is a gift itself. Blessings of peace and comfort to you as you grieve the loss of your loving Dad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nonnie!! Those really were the gifts that mattered the most, and yes I really needed each one. You always know how to say exactly the right thing, thank you for your kind words.

      Delete

Thank you for visiting! Please leave me a comment, I would love to have a record of your visit! Anonymous comments will not be published!