Monday, January 14, 2013

Monday Musing - How's Your Mama?


Most southerners seem to appreciate parents in general, but they recognize Mama differently. That applies to the ones that were "brought up right" and a good many of those that weren't. Life is just different here. There are different rules to remember and the "Mama rule" is one of those rules. Along with the red shoe rule, always wearing a slip under your dress rule, and breast meat only in chicken salad rule, these rules should be observed by a Southern Belle. These are very important to remember, because you don't want anyone to think that you weren't "brought up right". Don't forget the requirement of cheese straws at every reception, shower, and wedding! It is a lot of work to be a Southern Belle!
It is rare to make a trip to town and someone doesn’t ask about your Mama. It’s not just conversation fodder, these are people who know and are concerned about Mama. They appreciate their own Mama and were “brought up right”. Whether this person is someone that went to school with me, from my community, or from another walk of life, they ask about Mama. It always puts a smile on my face.
Call it being “brought up right” or whatever you choose but you won’t get this treatment in a large area. How many times could you walk into the Piggly Wiggly and have any one would ask about Mama? How many Piggly Wiggly’s would you find in a big town? Even in the larger stores of this area, someone asks about Mama. It is almost impossible to go in these stores or restaurants and not run into someone that knows your parents and will ask about them.
What bank would you go to in a large town where almost everyone would care about and know Mama? Our bank does not neglect to ask about her either. They understand the importance of Mama as does the small country church. I find it difficult to believe that these benefits would exist in a large town.
Mama is appreciated here. Mama also has a mind of her own and is capable of many amazing feats, just ask any southerner. Mama is capable of a good "hissy fit" and teaches her own daughter how to pitch one, that is if she was "brought up right". These fits are not to be taken lightly, and each fit has a desired result. You would be wise not to cross path's with a southern Mama pitching a "hissy fit" if you know what is good for you! Mama loves and cares for her family, even though we are grown now. My Mama took care of my Daddy in his last days. I realize that not all Mamas are like mine. Sadly I have seen different examples. My Mama was one of those Mama's that would never have cast her Mama duties on Daddy, or anyone else for that matter! It would have taken death to have separated her from us. She was the Mama, and no one else would take her place!!!
My Mama is truly a southern Mama. There is tea in her refrigerator; she has a swing on her front porch and I will never be able to fry chicken that tastes half as good as hers. I was also taught the basics as well as advanced techniques of a good "hissy fit". Just ask my daughter, she knows how to pitch a good one too. Southern Mamas have a good sense of humor and a child could tell some good stories about them. Mine is no different, I am not allowed to write about the best stuff, leaving you to your imagination. But then again my very own offspring had better not start writing about me either!
Good southern parents are a blessing, and a privilege to have. I am grateful for mine, even if Mama said that I can’t write about the good stuff.
 

8 comments:

  1. Oh Melanie, you are so blessed to have such a wonderful and interesting mother!!!

    My mother died years ago and I still miss her so much.

    I love the picture you paint of your small town. You certainly wouldn't experience people asking about your mom in a big city.

    This is such a sweet post!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Dolores I am!! I know that you must really miss your Mother, it must be hard.

      It is just a small southern town, everyone knows everyone. That is good and bad sometimes!! Thank you for your kind words. Thanks for visiting Dolores!!!

      Delete
  2. Sweet post. I was born in Alabama and my mother was also and she is definitely a southern mama! :) They are the best.
    Be a sweetie and thank you for popping in to see me,
    Sheila ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I sorta like mine too!! Thanks for your words and thanks for visiting Shelia!!!

      Delete
  3. Thank you Melanie,

    I haven't heard the term 'hissy fit' in a long time. Sometimes it's the only explanation that really fits, being from a southern daugther, her mother, or someone else who is just throwing one.

    Have you ever hear the expression ... 'He's got is _ss on his shoulders today'?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have witnessed a number of them, and yes it is the only description that fits!!

      Yes, have heaard that expression many times!!!

      Delete
  4. Sounds wonderful. I so miss my Mama. I really like the idea of living in a small southern town. You make it sound very pleasant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It can be very pleasant! Our near by small town is filled with so many eccentric characters, it is amusing, and if I wrote about it, no one would believe it was true!!

      Delete

Thank you for visiting! Please leave me a comment, I would love to have a record of your visit! Anonymous comments will not be published!