Thursday, January 17, 2013

Keeping Memories of Gran

My Gran was an excellent cook, she knew that and she took pride in that knowledge. Gran was willing to share her knowledge with anyone willing to take the time to listen. This is the book that we worked on together and is not for sale.
It is intended to be a record of our family history with the hopes that others will be encouraged to write their own memories down. I do not have any extra copies of this book, as only a few were printed. This was never intended to be a money making venture. This is not intended to be a sales pitch!!!
 
 
 
 
When my daughter was a child, often I called Gran to find out how she prepared a certain dish. There were numerous phone calls! I kept these recipes in a spiral bound notebook. The thing that was sticking with me was the stories that she shared with me. These stories were too wonderful to keep to myself, so I started writing them down.
Before she died, I put these recipes and stories in the form of a book. Gran helped me, we spent so many wonderful hours working on this book! It does not include all of her recipes, just the most important to our family. She was able to see the book, and have her own copy. I remember the smile on her face when she saw the cover and looked through the book. My Aunt Dotsie read the book to her when Gran was in the nursing home. It brought memories of happier times to her.
 
 
 
Gran made everything special, even a pimento cheese sandwich! Her recipes were made from simple ingredients and prepared on a budget. The main ingredient in every dish prepared was love! She told me once that she always thought about the people she was cooking for, and said a prayer for them as she cooked. How is that for a meal prepared with love?
 
 
 
Cornflake candy was a favorite of all the grandchildren! She made this treat regularly. Gran put hers in a dish and cut it into squares, Mama dropped hers out by the spoonful. I use Gran's recipe, and dip it out by the spoonful, like Mama did.
This was a treat that my own daughter enjoyed. Now my family has their own book, and can enjoy this treat and others, any time that they choose.
 
 
 
Gran grew up in the country, her Mother died when she was a child. Her Mother's sisters each taught her how to cook. She took advantage of that opportunity, and learned much from these knowledgeable ladies! The plate above is creamed field corn at the top of plate, squash on the right, cornbread at the bottom of the plate and purple hull peas with my Aunt Lucy's squash relish on top, and a few watermelon rind pickles. Gran always served a pickle of some sort with a vegetable meal like this.This is the way that she cooked, simple and tasty. My Mama would tell you at this point, that Gran did not like squash and did not prepare it often.
 
 
 
Posted by Picasa
Gran with my Granddaddy, she always smiled when she told the story of how he asked her to marry him about 9,000 times! My Aunt Annie wanted Gran to marry him, and was delighted when she finally said yes to him. Gran shared many stories as we worked on this book. I did not include every story, because some of the stories were so painful to her. It was not easy to be a young girl who had lost her mother in 1929, nor was it easy to be a young widow. I know that these things happened, but my desire was to share the good memories. Gran knew the value of humor, and laughter was a part of time with Gran. This book was intended to reflect those memories to our family. We each have a special memory about her that makes us smile.

My family has told me many times how much they appreciate this book. If is filled with our memories and Gran's special recipes. Each time we lose a family member, we are losing a piece of our history. That history is worth saving. Each family has their own story, and it should be preserved for future generations. Take the time to record your own special memories, you will not regret it! My book is not for sale, that was not the purpose. Sharing the memories and Gran's delicious recipes was the purpose, as well as encouraging others to record their own memories was the purpose.



 

10 comments:

  1. Oh I LOVE this idea! How your family must appreciate this. I wish I had a book of my grandmother's recipes! I do have some of her cookbooks, but that isn't quite the same.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lisa!!! They seem to enjoy it! I thought about our kids, they would never know what we did and wanted them to have this too. Sometimes, I take it out and cook something from it just because I miss her still! Thanks for visiting!!!

      Delete
  2. We do the same thing in my family--basically. When my Grandfather died each Grandchild wrote their memories of him. We had it printed along with memories of him into books and copies were made for everyone in the family. My Grandma cherished it. Then when my Grandmother died we did the same thing for her. I think we will continue it with everyone in the family. It is a great way to save your memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a great idea Sandy! Thanks for visiting!!!

      Delete
  3. What a sweet gift to distribute to your family members. I'm sure these little books will be passed down and cherished. Your gran was a beautiful young woman. Thanks so much for popping in to see me.
    be a sweetie,
    shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Shelia!!! That is what I hope, that it will be passed down from generation to generation!!! Thanks for visiting me!!!!

      Delete
  4. I also made a cook book of family recipes. All my girls have one. I didn't add stories to ours. I wish I had. What a wonderful thing to pass down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your have given your girls a priceless treasure!! Thanks for visiting Michelle!!!

      Delete
  5. I'm crying as I've read this sweet, sweet post. You and your family are so blessed to have these wonderful memories......., and how wonderful that you've kept it all alive with a book..... priceless!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much my sweet friend!!! My Gran was a treasure and she was just the kind of lady that someone like you would have enjoyed knowing!!! Thank you again Dolores!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting! Please leave me a comment, I would love to have a record of your visit! Anonymous comments will not be published!