Monday, January 28, 2013

Monday Musing - Aging Gracefully or Gratefully?

 
This morning, as I put on my make up, I saw them. It appeared to be the beginnings of a road map, right under my eyes. How did that get there? Grabbing the thickest moisturizer in the cabinet, I applied it to my skin, but they did not go away. Evidently, the mirror had not been cleaned, so it received a good cleaning.  Looking in the clean mirror, the lines were still there. The glass was cleaned again, but the tiny road map remained. Okay, this is a bad mirror. It needs to be replaced, so I’ll try another. They were still there. I put my glasses on to get a closer look, and that was even worse. I made a mental note to talk to my eye doctor about those obviously defective glasses.
Standing in front of the defective mirror, wearing defective glasses, the realization hit me. My life has been stressful for the past 15 years.  Alzheimer’s took Daddy, we lost Gran, I raised a daughter and am happy to say that we both survived, along with all of the things we experience in life, all of these circumstances have worked together to create that road map. I have earned each of these little lines and should be displaying them as a badge of honor. Maybe a badge of courage, should I choose to wear my glasses while looking in the mirror.
These tiny lines are better than the alternative. I am a survivor and should be proud, instead of trying to hide those little road maps. These are not a map of where I am going, but a map of where I have been. Why would I want to erase them? I earned each tiny line. These lines are a part of the person that I have become, and I choose to accept them. What other choice is there?
Time and life will provide a few more of those little lines. The face in my mirror is not the one that was there 25 years ago. The person behind that face is not the same either, hopefully some important life lessons have been learned, and will not need to be re-learned. With those lines, hopefully some wisdom has come my way. There are some things that will not change. I will celebrate my 29th birthday again this summer. Come on, you didn’t expect me to accept everything did you?


18 comments:

  1. What until you're turning 47!!..which I will be in 3 days! Now, when I put my makeup, I alternate between the regular mirror, glasses and a magnifying mirror! Wow with that last one but necessary to make sure that eyeliner is on straight! LOL! Have a good day, Tammy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL!! I would have to stop celebrating my 29th birthday then!! Thanks for visiting Tammy!!!

      Delete
  2. I am not even going to tell you how old I am, but I can tell you that I don't worry about wrinkles anymore....at least not too much! The older I get the more beautiful I find older women to be and I want to know their stories. So many times I think we treat them like they are invisible or don't matter, but what a mistake that is. The wisdom they could share if we would only listen....wow! Have a great day, Melanie. Can't wait to get better acquainted!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right Susan!! These lovely ladies do have a lot of wonderful things to share with us if we only take the time to listen!!! Thank you so much for visiting me!!!

      Delete
  3. I've been having problems with my mirror lately too. I think you are right about those lines and I am glad I am not the same girl I was way back then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, most of those things are just defective! Thank you Nonnie and thanks for visiting too!!

      Delete
  4. Wrinkles are part of who I am & I'm on the other side of 50. I almost fainted the first time I looked into a magnifying mirror! Plus you see more than just lines, who knew my pores were that large?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All magnifying mirrors reveal horrible things, they must all be defective too!! Thank you and thanks for visiting!!!

      Delete
  5. Your post is so cute. I hate aging. My Mom embraces it. A happy medium would be good I guess :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sandy! We might as well embrace it, I am struggling to do it gracefully. Thanks for visiting!!!

      Delete
  6. If you think your regular mirror is bad, then don't even think about looking in a magnifying mirror! Yikes! I think I'm going the grateful route rather than the graceful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL!! I know what you mean!!! I seem to be a lot more grateful than graceful, and that is a good choice!!!

      Delete
  7. I always tell my daughter, "I'll never get old. Wrinkly as hell maybe, but never old!" Aging isn't fun, but it beats the alternative. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, it is not fun, but certainly beats the alternative!!

      Delete
  8. I'm so over worrying about those lines and wrinkles -- they were earned and I never wanted to leave a good-looking corpse.

    Enjoy those wrinkles girl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very wise words Nancy!! There is not point worrying about them anyway! Yes, they were earned!

      Delete
  9. Hi Melanie! Well, I feel your pain! I've had those little road maps for sometime now! I keep poking cream on them and they just seem to stay the same! Oh, the joys of life! :) Thanks for popping in to see me.
    be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Shelia, those little road maps are stuck to my face too! Here lately it seems that my face has it's own tiny D.O.T and they are widening the roads!!! Oh well, guess that I earned those too!!

      Delete

Thank you for visiting! Please leave me a comment, I would love to have a record of your visit! Anonymous comments will not be published!