Wednesday, January 30, 2013

New Ideas From Fabulous Old Magazines

Hi, my name is Melanie, and I am a magazine addict. I save them, rotate, display and use them. My magazines rarely have the opportunity to gather dust. I don't apologize for this addiction, rather it is embraced and encouraged by my Mama and a couple of friends. They provide me with magazines that I may not have. There is no possibility of reformation, nor is there a plan to reform.
 
 
This one has been in my stash for a little while, note the date below. There is a bedroom that I love and think I need in this magazine.
 
 
This is lovely to me. Love the comforter and curtains, the wall color, the mismatched furniture. It is cozy and warm and would be a wonderful place to rest at night.
 
 
Recreating this look would require some paint, new linens, and moving a few things around in our house. Hmmmm..............
 
Notice the brass teapot in the picture below, as well at the brass candlesticks and brass box. I love it! This was called European style, but it used many things similar to what I have already and like. The furniture is not brand new, it was acquired over time, and is mismatched - like mine. The linens appear to be a mixture as well. The window treatments match the bed linens, but coordinate well with the small floral print on the chair, throw on the chair arm, and striped and solid pillow. The decorator stayed in the same color scheme and everything ties together, creating a uniform look.
 
 
Then there is this newer issue of Gracious Homes.
 
 
This issue was acquired last spring, it was the first time that I had seen this one, but it did not disappoint!
 
 
The picture below reminded me that I still wanted a look like this one.
 
Notice the lovely chest of drawers below, the matching lamps and family pictures displayed on top. The window treatments are a simple style, but lovely.
 
 
Posted by Picasa
So now I ask myself, how can I achieve this look with the things that I have? Do I have to spend money to get this look? Can I thrift shop what I plan to acquire? What if I made my curtains? There are lots of questions to ask myself.

The furniture that I have will work just fine. I will have to shop my house first for the accessories. My furniture could be rearranged also.

Planning is a large part of the fun of redecorating. Spending little or no money to achieve a certain look is even better! I knew that it was  a good idea to save those magazines!
 

20 comments:

  1. Very smart! You have found some great ideas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jori!! Some of these magazines are filled with classic ideas and I can't throw them away!!

      Delete
  2. Your room will look great when finished. I have seen other things you have done. You have great taste.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Michelle, that is a lovely compliment!! Thanks for visiting!!

      Delete
  3. I love looking thru old magazines too. I have an old fashioned style--so it really never changes that much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The good classic ideas never go out of style do they? Thanks Sandy!!

      Delete
  4. I don't know what it is, but I am horrible about looking through magazines unless I'm at the doctor's or dentist's office. Not sure why.

    But I think you could totally get this look by thrifting. It may take some time, but how much fun would that be. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If it takes time, that is okay, then I will be happier with the look! Thrifting is the way to go for me!! Thanks Nancy!!!

      Delete
  5. I love flipping through magazines. I tend to save recipes and crafts, but not many entire magazines.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't help it, generally hold on to the whole magazine, I do have some pages that were cllipped, but every time I do that, I find that later on, I wish that I had the whole magazine!! Thanks Lisa!!

      Delete
  6. I found a couple of old decorating magazines my mom saved; they date back to the early seventies! It's interesting to see what was hot back then. I'm hanging onto those! I agree with Michelle. I've seen pictures of your place and I'm sure whatever you do will look so inviting and lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is interesting to see what was hot then!! Sometimes it is a trend that has come back again, and sometimes it is a trend that we are glad it is not hot!

      Awww thanks Peggy!!! You are entirely too kind!!! Thank you!!!

      Delete
  7. I have tons of magazines as well! I love looking at them for inspiration. It's also amazing what we can do with what we already have! Thanks for the visit and kind words! Blessings, Tammy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is amazing what we can do with what we already have!! Thank you Tammy!!!

      Delete
  8. Melanie, it seems you and I are not alone in our magazine addiction. I have lots of magazines and finally just recently sat down flipped through some and decided that I would take a few to the thrift store. It was hard when I first started but soon realized there were some styles that I would never copy so I got rid of them to make room for newer ones. I like the classic look in some of the old magazines. Isn't it fun taking things from one room to use in another one and watching a style develop? Can't wait to see what you pull together at your home. Shannon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Knew that I was not alone in my addiction! It is fun taking things from one room and giving them a new life in another! It is almost as if you have something new! Thank you Shannon!!!

      Delete
  9. I love the pictures you've saved on your magazines. I scan through magazines and love looking at the home decorating sections.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dolores!! It is fun to sit down and just browse, sometimes you find a big idea and sometimes a just an idea of how to tweak something. I enjoy looking!!

      Delete
  10. I love looking through my hundreds of mags! (Yes I have an addiction, too) I get so much inspiration, and I love your pictures that are inspiring you! Definitely start by shopping your house, then fill in with thrift store or flea market finds...that's what works for me :)
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Susan!! Glad to know that you are an addict too!! LOL!! Shopping at home first is fun, it makes you look at things with a different perspective!! Of course a trip to the flea market or thrift shop is always fun to me!!

      Delete

Thank you for visiting! Please leave me a comment, I would love to have a record of your visit! Anonymous comments will not be published!