Saturday, February 9, 2013

40 Years Ago Today

40 years ago today, it snowed here! It was an event, because snow is a rare occurrence here in middle/south Georgia. We received over a foot of snow! Mama says that during the night, Daddy got up to look outside. He called Mama to come look at how beautiful and peaceful everything was. That is a special memory to my Mama.
Daddy told us to look really good, because we would probably never see this much snow again here. He was right, it has not happened again here.
There have been times that we have gotten a couple of inches, but never close to a foot of snow.
 
 
Posted by Picasa
This is the only picture that I have, but it is amazing to see this much snow in our area. Daddy is holding my youngest brother, he was 2 years old then. He put his hand into the snow and began to cry, saying that the snow had "bit" him. He was only  a toddler then, and did not understand. Snow was a new experience for all of us, we would have played outside as often as my parents allowed. School was closed, that was also an important event to me!

8 comments:

  1. Sweet memories. A snow like your photo is so lovely. Toddlers have the cutest way of expressing what they are thinking. The last year I lived In Tulsa, it seemed like the snow would never stop. I was so happy to leave it and live in San Antonio, where I was told it never snows. My first winter there, it snowed. They closed up everything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nonnie!Snow is a rare occurance here too. When it does snow, everyone remembers it! People always talk about the snow of 74 here! Don't think that I would care to have it all of the time though! Thanks for visiting!!

      Delete
  2. Seems like we got more snow when we were kids...:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This snow was a big deal here, every winter we always hoped for a snow like that one! It never happened!! Thanks for visiting Nancy!!!

      Delete
  3. No snow here. I'm wearing capri pants and a short sleeve shirt today. The children in our part of the world are always praying for snow.

    I love your snow picture from times past.... a good memory.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am wearing the same thing today Dolores!! That was one of those once in a lifetime experiences. Thanks Dolores!!!

      Delete
  4. what a sweet picture to have of that day! I love snow! To me...if it's going to be cold and gray outside...bring on the snow. Snow brightens the world up like a good coat of white paint!
    God Bless
    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sharon!!! I love snow too, but it a rare event here! Snow makes news in this part of the world!!

      Delete

Thank you for visiting! Please leave me a comment, I would love to have a record of your visit! Anonymous comments will not be published!