Monday, March 25, 2013

Monday Musing - Flea Prevention

This winter has seemed endless to me. The cold has been colder and lasted longer. My mind has dreamed the dreams of spring for months now. Thoughts of flowers, warm days and cool nights and the promise of fresh vegetables have filled my head. Spring fever can’t be far behind these thoughts.
Flea prevention has begun in anticipation of the spring that we are hope will happen. Atticus knows this and is on alert for those little tubes that contain the flea prevention. Atticus missed his calling in life; he would have made a dramatic actor. If you were to watch the events that take place when Atticus must have these treatments or visit the vet, you would probably laugh at his antics. If you were to participate in these events, then you would not find his antics amusing.
Last year, we began keeping an extra tube of flea prevention on hand. We waited for the right moment and orchestrated a highly sophisticated and complicated sneak attack. It was difficult, but effective and required fewer trips up and down the stairs. The details remain top secret and cannot be revealed in their entirety here, because he may have learned to read. I can tell you that these special ops produce less screaming from him and myself as well.
Each mission must be unique; Atticus will not repeat the same mistake. Besides, it gives Atticus the opportunity to show off his dramatic side. Last year I chose to medicate him at one of his many snack times. I opened the new tube in an undisclosed location and walked toward his bowl. Atticus sensed something was up, the treats were placed in his bowl and swiftly the tube was placed between his shoulder blades and squeezed. Atticus turned and looked at me. He realized that he had been tricked and betrayed by the person that he loves most in this world. There would be repercussions for my actions.
Atticus now approaches his food bowl from a different angle, keeping my hands in his sight the entire time. Atticus and his dramatic antics give us a reason to wonder, are fleas really that bad? Perhaps we should attempt to make friends with the parasites, train them and create our very own flea circus. Atticus could become gainfully employed as the Official Flea Circus Flea Feeder. It is a dramatic idea, but would my dramatic feline cooperate?

4 comments:

  1. Oh, boy Atticus, you sure did make this difficult! My dog doesn't give a hoot about his treatment. I am sad because for a couple of days, I can hug and kiss him as usual :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Atticus is very good at amking things difficult that should be simple!! Thanks for visiting!!!

      Delete
  2. Oh my goodness, I was laughing so hard. I can totally relate! I managed to get my outside cat into a crate and to the vet for his shots but when I tried a week later to take him back for a little snip snip ;), you would have thought I was trying to skin him alive. I wasn't as successful on that last attempt and after 3 months I am still waiting for the opportunity to catch him off guard. He has the eagle eye on me now. As for my dog and getting her flea med down her back, as long as I am petting her with the other hand and sweet talking her, she could care less. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that crate is not fun to get Atticus into either! The last time Atticus went to the vet, getting him out of the crate was an experience! The vet grabbed the carrier and pulled, while I had my hands on Atticus and pulled gently. Getting him back into the carrier was easier, I simply opened the door and he shot in! My goodness the trouble we go to for these pets!! Thanks for visiting Nancy!!!

      Delete

Thank you for visiting! Please leave me a comment, I would love to have a record of your visit! Anonymous comments will not be published!