Monday, March 4, 2013

Monday Musing - My Old Elgin

 
Posted by Picasa
The demise of an appliance is a tragedy at my house. It seems that each new appliance lacks the quality of the previous appliance, and has a shorter life span. New appliances may have a sleek look to them, but the materials used to build the majority of these modern wonders do not seem to hold up as well. Sewing machines are no different. The newer models that I have seen have plastic housing.
My sewing machine, her name is El, was a workhorse and a creative tool. How can a plastic machine effectively serve this purpose? El and I have a history; we have created many things together. El is a simple kind of gal. She doesn’t do fancy stitches, but she did what I needed her to do. We made curtains, pillows and tablecloths together. There was more for her to help me with, but sadly her useful life has come to an end. The demise of El leaves me without my tool of creativity and only the dreams of the things that we could have sewn together. We had a future and now that dream has been crushed.
Kevin tried to save her; he worked on her one Saturday afternoon. I also heard a few of the harsh words that he spoke to her and wonder if this is part of the reason that I lost my working friend. El was a sensitive kind of gal, you had to talk sweetly to her sometimes in order to get her to cooperate. Kevin refused to understand her sensitive nature. El is only a machine that has lost its usefulness to him. El is an “it” rather than the creative tool that has a name of her own. She wasn’t his friend, and he ignored the fruits of our labor. Leaving me to wonder if he truly tried to save El. Does he think that these newer plastic machines that lack personality will replace El and be able to perform the same tasks?
The hunt is on for a new, old sewing machine now. A machine that is willing to work and create with me is needed. She must be willing to sew the denim, as well as the soft cottons that may be required of her. There is work for us to do. Whoever she may be, we have some buffalo checks and a red toile in our future.

9 comments:

  1. Good morning, Melanie,
    Did I hear buffalo checks and red toile??? You and I have a penchant for so many of the same things. My home is dotted with B.checks and red and white toile. It's so country and so fresh. My kitchen curtains, an old vintage rocking chair, toss pillows...I just love the cheery look.
    I do hope you have a lovely day, my friend.
    Thank you for stopping by!
    Blessings,
    Carolynn xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we do Carolynn!! I agree that it is fresh and country! Wishing you a lovely day too! Thank you for stopping by for a visit!!!

      Delete
  2. Your pic of the Elgin caught my eye just now. I wish I could sew. I know you will miss El, but hope you find a new friend in another old machine. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nonnie!! As a matter of fact, I have been gifted with another machine!! I am so excited becuase I know the lady that had it so it is in excellent shape!! Thanks for visiting!!!

      Delete
  3. Hi Melanie! Oh, I'm sorry to hear about your sewing buddy El! I hope you can find the perfect machine. I agree, they do not make them like they used to.
    Thanks so much for popping in to see me.
    be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do think that I have found the perfect machine!! She should be arriving this week! Thank you so much Shelia!!!

      Delete
  4. Aw too bad about El... reading the comments I see you may have a new machine set to arrive.
    I know you two will make beautiful music together as you sing along to her humming along!

    Thanks for always stopping by and reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, we have work to do when she gets here!! Thanks for visiting!!!

      Delete
  5. Mу spouѕe and Ι stumbled ovег here frοm a
    diffегent web page anԁ thоught Ӏ
    mіght сheck things out. I like what Ι see sο now і am follоwing yоu.
    Look forwаrԁ to looking at уour web ρagе аgаin.


    Heгe is mу web site :: Regaine

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting! Please leave me a comment, I would love to have a record of your visit! Anonymous comments will not be published!