Monday, April 22, 2013

Change

 
Change is a part of our lives. Change will happen regardless of who we are or where we are. We often resist, unsuccessfully, those changes. Sometimes change is good, sometimes bad and often just a part of living.
Last evening, coming home from Mama’s house, I looked toward the place that we lived when I was a small child. The house is gone now, but in my memory the house is there. My memory sees the screen door in the kitchen; on the other side, I see the shadowy figure of my Daddy standing there gazing at the nighttime sky. My small hand reaches out to push the screen door open and I creep towards him. I slip my hand into his, he looks down and the light from the kitchen window casts a soft glow, providing enough light to see the smile that spreads across his face. I hear the low soft chuckle that comes from his chest. We stand in the darkness gazing at the night sky. Gently, my hand reaches up and tugs Daddy’s shirt. He leans down and picks me up. I lean close to him and inhale his scent. Everything in my child world is right at that moment. We watch the sky and occasionally get to see a shooting star if we are lucky!
The nighttime sky looks like a piece of black velvet with twinkling diamonds of various sizes scattered about. It is the sky that we are no longer able to see because of the numerous lights from businesses, homes, the interstate and the modern world we live in. It is a sight that my daughter has never seen, and may never see. This breathtaking sight now exists only in the memory of those of us that remember this sky. Change crept into our area, welcome or not, and changed our nighttime sky.
We can rely on change, it will always occur. Some changes are good, and needed. Some changes are bad, and represent things that we wish had not happened. Children grow up, houses decay and time marches on. Change is all around us, occurring regularly and without our consent. The ability to remember exists in us and yet change occurs there also. Change will happen; we must decide how we will respond to those changes. My choice is to cherish the sweet, learn from the bad and cope with the rest.


14 comments:

  1. Very well written Melanie. And, I couldn't agree more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you D! Thank you for visiting too!!

      Delete
  2. Change of any kind is really scary for some people. I, personally, like change. It recharges and re-energizes me. Great post, Melanie- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Change can be good, I agree!! Thank you for your kind words and thanks for visiting!!!

      Delete
  3. Enjoyed your post. I so agree.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Michelle!! Thanks for visiting!!!

      Delete
  4. I like your choice--cherish the sweet, learn from the bad, and cope with the rest...good attitude!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sandy!!! Thanks for visiting!!!

      Delete
  5. Only three things in life are certain - birth, death, and change. Ukrainian proverb.

    You've made a good choice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, it seems like it is the only choice doesn't it? Thanks for visiting!!!

      Delete
  6. yep..can't control much about change...just our reaction to the change...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right!! Change will happen. Thanks and thank you for visiting!!!

      Delete
  7. What a great, positive attitude you have toward change! Sometimes I resist it when I should probably 'roll with it' more! Thanks for sharing :)
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susan! No need in trying to resist it, it's gonna happen. the good and the bad. As you said, just roll with it! Thank you so much for visiting!!!

      Delete

Thank you for visiting! Please leave me a comment, I would love to have a record of your visit! Anonymous comments will not be published!