Thursday, April 4, 2013

Chocolate Cake with Caramel Buttercream Icing

 
My cookbook collection contains some regional favorites. One of those favorites is a tattered and cover less book that came from an estate sale.
 
 
When I saw this book, I knew that it had to be a good one. The pages were stained and some were missing, the cover must have been gone for some time. The spine of the book is broken, and part of it is missing. What delectable secrets did this book hold?
 
 
This loved and well used book was published in the 1960’s. Looking through the pages of this treasure, it is easy to see the pages most used.  The history of this book must be a yummy one!
 
 
Cakes made from scratch are in this book. The recipe for a chocolate cake with caramel icing caught my eye. The cake called for coffee, this was an indicator that I would probably like this one! The caramel icing recipe sounded a little more complicated.
 
 
There is another recipe in my collection that gives great results. Why not use that icing recipe instead. Cooking should be fun, with tasty results, so I would use the devil’s food cake recipe and my favorite caramel icing recipe. The result got a two thumbs up at my house.
 
Posted by Picasa
 
Chocolate Cake
1 cup butter
1 ½ cups sugar
3 eggs
1 cup buttermilk
2 ½ cups cake flour
½ teaspoon salt
½ cup strong coffee
1 teaspoon soda
1 teaspoon vanilla
 
Cream the butter and the sugar. Add the eggs one at a time and beat well. Add the butter milk and sifted flour and salt to the creamed mixture.
Dissolve the cocoa in the cooled coffee, add the soda and beat until foamy. Add the coffee mixture to the creamed mixture and blend well. Stir in the vanilla.
Pour into 3 eight inch cake pans that have been greased and floured and bake in a 350 degree oven for about 25 minutes, or until cake tests done. Let the cake cool in the pans for about 5 minutes and turn out onto a cooling rack. Cool completely before icing.
 
Caramel Buttercream Icing
½ cup granulated sugar
½ cup cream
½ cup softened butter
4 – 5 cups confectioners’ sugar
Pinch of salt
Milk for thinning icing
 
Melt the sugar in a heavy pan over a medium high heat. The sugar will completely melt, be careful, this is extremely hot!!! Allow the sugar to begin to change to an amber color. Stay right there with it the entire time, this mixture will burn quickly. Remove the pan from heat. Immediately pour the cream in slowly. The mixture will bubble, keep stirring until completely smooth. Set the mixture aside to cool.
Cream the butter, adding the sugar in small batches of about ½ cup. Add the salt. Drizzle the cooled caramel into the butter mixture slowly. Adjust the texture of this icing to your taste. If needed add milk to make the icing spreadable. More confectioners’ sugar may be added if needed. Frost the cooled cake.
 
Joining the following parties
Miz Helen’s Country Cottage for Full Plate Thursday
Stone Gable Cottage for Tutorials, Tips and Tidbits
Have A Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson for Share Your Cup Thursday
A Delightsome Life for Home and Garden Thursday


25 comments:

  1. Looks delish, Melanie! I'm like you, those are the old cookbooks that you can trust to have some great recipes when you find the dirtiest pages! :) I've found a few like this too.
    Thanks for popping in to see me.
    be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, those dirty pages are where the good stuff is found!! These books are treasures to me!! Thanks for visiting Shelia!!!

      Delete
  2. Caramel buttercream....yes please! I'm going to have to try that :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope that you enjoy it Gretchen!!! Thanks so much for visiting!!!

      Delete
  3. Oh Melanie, the frosting on this cake alone sounds luscious! I adore old cook books. Love picking them up when I find them at estate sales! Thanks for sharing both the book and the yummy recipe with Share Your Cup.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks jann!! Estate sales do seem to be the best place to pick up these treasures! Some of my favorite recipes have come from books like these. Thanks for visiting!!!

      Delete
  4. I think I just drooled on the keyboard a little! :)
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ROFL!!! Only a little I hope!! Thanks for visiting Susan!!!

      Delete
  5. Oh brother, does that ever look good to me. I notice that on FB everybody is sharing all kinds of wicked recipes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have noticed that too, and they all look so yummy too! Thanks for visiting Nonnie!!!

      Delete
  6. Oh My Gosh- Someone else that really USES their cookbooks. I am embarrassed to show my own most times! Thank you for finding me and leaving a comment today- I back linked to find you and I am your newest follower. Do you know that you come through as a NoReply comment? That means that no one can reply to you directly when you leave them a comment. If you want to fix it-let me know and I might be able to help. Just thought you might not know- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. then you must have very good cookbooks then!! If they are used a lot, they contain the good stuff!!

      Did not know that I showed up that way and will be contacting you. Thank you so much for telling me!!! Thanks for visiting and following!!!!

      Delete
  7. Your recipe is awesome and thank you so much for sharing it at the table with Full Plate Thursday.
    Hope to see you again soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks like a book grandma would have used - the combination of chocolate and caramel is one of our favorites. I do appreciate you sharing with Home and Garden Thursday,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it does look like a book somebody's Grandma used!!! Thank you so much Kathy!!!

      Delete
  9. Congratulations!
    Your recipe is featured on Full Plate Thursday this week. Hope you have a great weekend and enjoy your new Red Plate.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Miz Helen!!!! You made my day!!! Thank you, thank you , thank you!!! Woo Hoo!!!

      Delete
  10. I love regional cookbooks! This cake looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stacy!!! This is a wonderful book, wish that I could tell you the name of it, but the cover is long gone, as are the first pages. Thanks for visiting!!!

      Delete
  11. You had me at "cake"! I'm going to have to try this one soon. Thank you for sharing, Melanie! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL!! And chocoloate cake at that!! Hope you enjoy Peggy!!! Thanks for visiting!!!

      Delete
  12. Oh my. I have a cookbook with that same photo on the divider page. They were books made for fundraising, recipes provided by the cooks of that group. In my case, all church women from our church's area.

    It is full of great recipes and I LOVE that there are little hand written notes...like "Good One" or "Don't make again" from my mom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those notes are interesting to read aren't they? you know you have a good one when you find one like that!! Thank you for visiting Dianna!!!

      Delete
  13. Trying to comment...one more time. LOL I have a cookbook with that same photo for the divider page. Was a fundraiser for our church and had recipes submitted from women all the through the area. I love that it has little hand written notes like "Good One" or "Don't make again" my mom wrote. I know she used this book...and a few others...often.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting! Please leave me a comment, I would love to have a record of your visit! Anonymous comments will not be published!