Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Crimson's Short Story

Depending on your point of view, this may not be a happy story. It is not a sad story from my point of view, bitter and sweet perhaps. It was a privilege to be the one that was with her for the end of her story. Her story ended with her knowing that she had been loved and cared for. You may feel differently. If you do, then please visit us later, we are always glad to have you! My job is to care for the animals, and sometimes that means letting go.
 
4 years ago, we began our adventure with goats. The plan was to start out with 2 girls. Their names would be Crimson and Clover. The first girl was named Clover. I had plans for soap and cheese too. Clover had her own ideas and plans.
 
Life has a way of getting between what you want to do, and what must be done. Time rocked on and Clover remained the only goat and grew old enough to begin her own family. Clover had other ideas, she wanted a baby, but did not want to bother with a goathusband. The last attempt ended up with the Bill E. Goat standing behind me shaking uncontrollably. His ego never quite recovered after that. The name Clover could not be mentioned around him.
 
Sadly we lost Clover last year. She must have had a heat stroke, we couldn't get her cooled down, when we found her it was already to late. Admittedly, I still miss Clover, she was one of a kind, cantankerous, amazing, ridiculous, loving, silly and much more.
 
Yesterday, Bruce called and said he had a "situation", I knew what that meant and told him to bring her on. This is Crimson.
 
 
 
Posted by Picasa
Crimson was born yesterday, her mother rejected her. Bruce found her lying in the pasture. He brought her to me and told me that she may not make it, but it would be better than lying alone in the pasture. I worked with her for a few hours, keeping her warm, trying to get some colostrum in her and rubbing her. It became evident that her time here would be short, so I kept her warm and as comfortable as I could. She rested quietly and peacefully, and then slipped away.

My mind imagines that she has met Clover, and now Clover has the baby she wanted without the bother of a goatman. We did get our Crimson and Clover, and now they are together. Honestly, if I had known how this story would end, I would have done it anyway. Saving them is not always my job, sometimes it is my job to love and care for them and then let them go.

Bruce also brought me a nanny yesterday. She does not have a name yet, and will need time to adjust to us. Last night, I heard her low, soft sounds before I went to bed. It was a good thing to hear. We will tell our story here, and hope that you will enjoy reading about it!

12 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear she didn't make it. But exciting you got a new nanny goat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lisa, I am sorry that she did not make it too! Wish that I could save them all, but that is not always my job. Yes, it is exciting that we have a new girl!! We will do our best with and for her!!

      Delete
  2. Aw!
    Such a sweet story. I like the names Crimson and Clover.
    Glad that you are comforted in knowing that loving these animals and taking care of them as they come and go from this earth all part of it.
    Hope the next adventures with your new nanny will be a blessing.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Pat!! Yes, saying gooodbye is part of it, not my favorite part, but an important part. I am guessing that this new nanny and I will take part in several adventures, she has a big personality! Thanks so much for visiting!!!

      Delete
  3. It makes me happy knowing that the sweetie did not have to lay dying alone in the field. That your husband and you had compassion for a helpless creature and comforted it. Look forward to hearing about your new nanny goat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nonnie! We look forward to telling our story here! Thank you for visiting!!!

      Delete
  4. well congrats and good luck with your new nanny.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Annmarie, and thanks for visiting!!!

      Delete
  5. Oh, such a sweet story. To live and know love is a good thing--even if it was for a brief time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad that I had the opportunity to care for her, even though her time here was so brief. Thank you Sandy and thanks for visiting!!!

      Delete
  6. The best part of the story is, that even if Crimson didn't have much time here on earth. She know she was loved and cared for while she was here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thanks Michelle!! I think she knew that because when I put her down for a moment, she cried, so I held her almost the whole time. Thanks for visiting!!!

      Delete

Thank you for visiting! Please leave me a comment, I would love to have a record of your visit! Anonymous comments will not be published!