Friday, May 10, 2013

Chimney Cabinet

My camera has been found, don't ask for details because I will not disclose how close it was or how many times I must have walked past it. The good news is that I found it just as I had decided to buy another!
 
Yesterday we decided to stop and visit my favorite antique mall, King Cotton. You never know what treasures will be waiting for you there!
 
 
This Chimney Cabinet called out to me! My grandparents had one like this in their kitchen. It was painted white and Granddaddy kept the Banana Moon pies and saltine crackers on top, and made sure that the grandchildren got a moon pie when they came. I have a saltine cracker tin, maybe I will luck up and find a banana moon pie tin one of these days.
 
 
This cabinet has had the side panels, and back replaced. The middle door panel was replaced as well. The hinges are questionable, but that is fine with me. It is no longer an authentic piece, however our home is not a fancy antique filled place. It is a comfortable old farmhouse, filled with things that made us smile.
This is a good find to me, I can paint it guilt free now! Even though it is not the cabinet that was in my Grandparents home, it reminds me of the one they had.
 
 
It is in need of some tender loving care. The hardware is rusty and the legs will need some love too. Look at the fabulous color of green on the inside!
 
The top is still intact. This cabinet has been brown, green and white. I am considering trying to color match the inside and paint it the same color green. The outside will probably be painted white and antiqued to get it as close to the way I remember my grandparents cabinet looked.
 
 
Posted by Picasa
It was a delight to find this treasure and I am anxious to start working on it this weekend! Also will be working on an old iron bed, pictures will come later!

Sharing at

Deborah Jean's Dandelion House for Farmgirl Friday

My Simple Country Living for Farmgirl Friday

Hibiscus House for Farmgirl Friday

12 comments:

  1. I bought a chimney cabinet years ago at a house liquidation. I lugged it up from the basement, brought it home, painted it white and used it for ages in my dining room. It is now in my daughters dining room.

    I did a quick search and found a few moon pie tins on ebay. Here is the link:http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0&_nkw=banana+moon+pie+tin&_sacat=0&_from=R40

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the link!!! I will check it out! Thank you again and thanks for visiting!!!

      Delete
  2. That is a cool cabinet. I look forward to see how it looks when you are done with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stacy!! I plan to start working on it this weekend, if life doesn't have other ideas. Thank you for visiting!!!

      Delete
  3. That is a fun piece--love the story. Now I am craving a Moon pie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sandy! As for the moon pies, well I made me want one too!! Thanks for visiting!!!

      Delete
  4. What a great find! And how sweet that it brings those memories! :)
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susan! I did not have the opportunity to work on it this weekend as I had hoped, but it is at the top of my to-do list! Thanks for visiting!!!

      Delete
  5. Hi, What a great find! I love the color on the inside, too. I just bought one of these cabinets a couple of weeks ago. Mine doesn't have character like yours. I am undecided what to do with mine. Will follow yours to see what you do with it...Connie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Connie! This was the first time that I had seen a chimney cabinet in the store, I was delighted to find it. Thank you for visiting!!!

      Delete
  6. Wow - don't you love it when you find a treasure that reminds you of something from your childhood? I, too, have a chimney cupboard that I found at an antique show. It's taller and skinnier than yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I do love it when that happens! It doesn't have to be the same exact one to make me smile and bring back happy memories! They are interesting pieces to find, glad that you have one too and hope that it makes you as happy as mine makes me! Thank you Dianna and thanks for reading!!!

      Delete

Thank you for visiting! Please leave me a comment, I would love to have a record of your visit! Anonymous comments will not be published!