Monday, May 6, 2013

Monday Musing - Onion Dip

 
Posted by Picasa
Please forgive the poor picture quality, this was taken with my camera phone, my camera is still missing.

Cooking is something that I enjoy. My husband never complains when I purchase another cookbook, he knows that he will benefit from that purchase. This sickness does not end there. When I see an advertisement in a magazine or on television that appeals to us, my thought is how can this be made in my kitchen? The goodies from my kitchen lack the preservatives and artificial tastes of the overly priced and inferior tasting store bought items. Those are things that I don’t care to duplicate.

My husband can be picky, this presents a challenge. He has formed opinions based on past experiences, and must be coaxed into creating new opinions. Onion dip is one of those things that he has changed his mind about. His past experience involved an odd tasting concoction that passed for dip. I told him that my version called for real bacon. He paused to listen to my argument, and agreed to try it.

He is now a fan of onion dip, and requests it. He made that request last week and I prepared his favorite dip. My inner smarty pants takes over sometimes, which was also the case this past week. Snapping a picture of this dip on a chip, it was sent to him. The text explained to him that it was delicious and it was so very sad that he was working and would be unable to enjoy his special dip. Several text messages were exchanged between us during his lunch break. He hoped that the dip would be there when he came home, and informed me that it was wrong to tease him that way.

That evening he opened the refrigerator, searching for his dip. Like most men, he can’t find anything in the refrigerator. That includes large items. Looking back, I should have seized the opportunity and capitalized on his frantic behavior by holding the dip hostage in exchange for something good. An extensive honey-do list should have been prepared. That opportunity slipped away, I gave in and located the dip, he was happy.

The way to that man’s heart was through his stomach, my best recipes are there. Leading me to wonder, is it me he loves, or my ability to cook? Whatever the case he requests his favorites and I prepare them for him, even if a little bit of mischief is involved.
 
Want the recipe? You can find it here. It is Lucinda Scala Quinn's recipe for Caramelized Onion and Bacon Dip, from the show Mad Hungry. If you haven't visited her before, you are in for a treat!

 

 

 

9 comments:

  1. I would have to intentionally hide an onion dip like that from my DH or he would gobble it all up in one sitting. He's bad like that. Hope you find your phone soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine will do the same!! He now loves the stuff!! Thanks Nonnie!!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. That's funny!! I knew what you meant, but I am getting desperate and will probaboly have to break down and buy another point and shoot!! Thanks for visiting Nonnie!!!

      Delete
  3. I am having a craft swap on my blog. Would love to have you join us. My family loves onion dip. Will be giving this a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the invite Michelle!! Hope you enjoy the dip!! Thanks for visiting!!!

      Delete
  4. Wowww, your blog is very interesting and beautiful, congratulations. Kisses from Europe.

    http://redecoratelg.blogspot.com.es/

    ReplyDelete
  5. So you have one of those men who know only how to open the fridge door?
    Hope that camera of yours turns up. Annoying when we misplace or loose things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL!! Yes, he can find the tea though! Yes, it is very annoying when I misplace something!!

      Delete

Thank you for visiting! Please leave me a comment, I would love to have a record of your visit! Anonymous comments will not be published!