Monday, May 27, 2013

Monday Musing - Strong Women

 
This past week I received a card from a dear friend that reads this column. She did not know it, but her card came at a time it was needed.  She is an amazing woman. She has influenced me more than she knows.
Recently I dealt with a person that dislikes strong women, and associated me with that group. I thank this person for the compliment and the reminder of my blessings. While we are entitled to our opinion, it did cause me to look at myself. What kind of woman am I? I don’t feel that I have earned that title. I am not the woman that I want to be yet. There is still work to do.
There have been a number of strong women that have had an influence on my life. My Daddy married one, as did my Grandfather, Gran was definitely a strong woman. My Granny was another strong woman. There were teachers that left their positive marks on me. I have had the privilege of working for some amazing and strong women and there were ladies from the community where I grew up, that fit into this category. I carry their influence with me. There are many others, and not enough space to list each precious one.
What could this group of seemingly different women have in common? They bend, but they don’t break. Meaning it was the “bent knee power” that made these women strong. I think that they would agree that was the source of their strength.
These strong women held jobs, cared for husbands, families, their parents, their homes and did work in their churches and community and also managed to influence others positively along the way. Each made a different contribution, and has influenced many with their actions. Knee power is crucial for the position.
There are wise men who realized the benefit of strong women. They made them their wives and the mother’s of their children; they realized the wisdom of carefully choosing these dynamic ladies as their mate. They wanted the best mate, good enough was not sufficient.
My friend’s words were kind and appreciated. The privilege of friendship however, has been mine. She taught me to be better, and is still teaching me. It is indeed a great blessing to know a strong woman. I am so thankful for each strong woman that left her imprint on my life.


10 comments:

  1. Melanie, I too am thankful for all the strong women in my life. The ones who were really strongest were also most gentle. I sense you are a gentle woman, too. It's great to have friends who encourage us along the way to becoming the women we want to be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the kind compliment Nonnie!! I try to be gentle, but realize that many times I fail. It is good to have the kind of friends that offer real support, where would we be without them? Thank you again Nonnie, you always leave me with a smile!!!

      Delete
  2. Hi Melanie! I agree there are lots of strong women in our lives and thank God for them. Thanks for popping in to see me and your sweet words.
    Hope you've had a nice Memorial Day.
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Shelia! Thanks for visiting!!!

      Delete
  3. What a beautiful tribute Melanie. I think we are all still learning and growing each day. A strong woman knows when to be gentle and listen. But she also knows when it's time to be firm and speak out. I too appreciate the strong women that have influenced my life. My sweet mother raised 8 children on her own for 7 years when my father passed away. I was the youngest and only 9 months old. She was definitely a strong woman who had so much influence on my life. A strong woman knows that she can not be strong without the help of our dear father in heaven.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have accuately described a strong woman. They have a powerful influence, we could use more of them!! Thanks for visiting Jann!!

      Delete
  4. A beautiful post, Melanie. Here's to all the strong women in our lives!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peggy!! We are lucky to have them! Thanks for visiting!!!

      Delete
  5. Dear Melanie, Your post is wonderful and so well written. I also had the blessing of strong women in my life and for that I am very thankful. So happy for you to have that influence too. You were given a gift!!
    Thank you for stopping by and your kind comment and new following.
    Hugs, Celestina Marie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Glad that you were lucky enough to have special people like that in your life too! Thank you for visiting!!!

      Delete

Thank you for visiting! Please leave me a comment, I would love to have a record of your visit! Anonymous comments will not be published!