Saturday, May 18, 2013

Rescuing An Old Pie Safe

When we moved here 6 years ago, we came from an apartment. How would I be able to furnish this home on a budget, a small budget at that!
One day I drove past a house with this cabinet sitting on the back porch. A previous tenant had left this behind apparently. The owner was there, so I stopped and asked if he would sell this cabinet. He agreed, than I cautiously asked how much? He said what will you give me. I opened my purse and offered him $35, the only cash that I had. He accepted, I rejoiced, and called my brother to help me load her up.
 
 
This had apparently once been a pie safe. The screen had been removed from the sides and the doors had been replaced. That was not important to me, I knew what I wanted to do with her. Daddy cleaned the cabinet up for me, and told me that I needed to paint it. We jokingly argued about this cabinet for a couple of years, it is a sweet memory. I chose not to paint it and an glad that I didn't!
 
 
I loved the chippy paint, and the bottom drawer that didn't work properly. We replaced the hardware and put a couple of coats of wax on this piece.
 
 
Now she needed some goodies to place on top. I found an old window at Daddy's and picked up a few yard sale treasures. The old sewing machine is a dumpster find. The base sits in my kitchen and serves as an island.
 
 
This old pie safe now serves as the linen closet.
 
 
The bottom drawer was waxed and slides easily now.
 
 
There are many ways that this cabinet could be used, but for now it serves as the linen closet.
 
 
It fits perfectly in our old farmhouse. It is imperfect, was once neglected, and forgotten by it's previous owners. Now it has a new home and a new purpose.
 
 
Posted by Picasa
Something that someone considered trash, is now my treasure. We have filled our home with "treasures" like this. They were thrifted, yard sale finds or found, they now have a home with us.

Linking to the following

The Country Farm Home for Country Whites Weekend

Old Time Farmhouse for Country Whites Weekend

and

Funky Junk Interiors for Party Junk
 

28 comments:

  1. I love it. Old furniture with a purpose speaks to me too, just wish I had some.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Couldn't leave this one there to be thrown away, it still had too much useful life in it! Thanks for visiting!!!

      Delete
  2. This is a great piece with a good story about how you got it. It looks great with it's new purpose in life. Thanks for visiting me and leaving your comment. Have a great day. Blessings, Pamela

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pamela! It serves it purpose well, so glad that it did not end up in the dump! Thanks for visiting and commenting!!!

      Delete
  3. Love this--I have seen several of these recently and they are so charming! It is making me want one :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sandy! Hope that you find that perfect one because you need one too! Thanks for visiting!!!

      Delete
  4. Hi Melanie, I love it. It looks pretty in your house...Connie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Connie! It is a neat piece. Thanks for visiting!!!

      Delete
  5. Melanie,
    I loved reading your story about how you acquired your pie safe. It looks perfect in your home. I have my grandmother's pie safe, although it looks taller than yours. But the sides look similar. Mine has never been painted and appears to have its original finish. I remember pies sitting inside it at my grandmother's house. Perhaps I should do a blog post about it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jane you are so lucky to have that piece and you are lucky that it has never been painted! Yes you should write a post about it, we would love to see it!!!

      Delete
  6. Hi Melanie! Oh, what a sweet story and a great little cabinet!
    Thanks for popping in to see me.
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shelia and thank you for visiting!!!

      Delete
  7. I LOVE LOVE LOVE the cabinet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Meg!! Glad that you like it! Thanks for visiting!!

      Delete
  8. Hi Melanie, What a wonderful cabinet and great story to go with it. Your display is perfect and I love the chippy and distressed look. I would love to find a piece like this. What a charming addition to your home.
    Thank you for stopping by and your kind comment. Have a wonderful evening.
    Hugs, Celestina Marie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hoping that you will luck up on a piece like this soon! Thank you for visiting!!

      Delete
  9. Oh, my! Makes my heart skip a beat! I love anything primitive. . .Thanks so much for sharing at Country Whites Weekend! You helped make it a great party! Hope to see you again next month!
    Hugs from the Farmhouse,
    Dru

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dru, looking forward to it! Thanks for visiting!!

      Delete
  10. I love it, she has soooo much character and I love to think and imagine the history of the old pieces of furniture.....
    Hugs,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure that she must have held some tasty pies in her time! Thanks for visiting Dolores!!!

      Delete
  11. All old pieces have a story, usually untold. That is why I'm drawn to pieces like this.
    Thank you for embracing your country whites and sharing your cabinet at Country Whites Weekend.
    Farmhouse hugs,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanbs for hosting Cindy, looking forward to the next Country Whites Weekend! thanks for visiting!!

      Delete
  12. Love this piece!! And you got it for such a steal!
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susan!! It was a great price. Thanks for visiting!!!

      Delete
  13. What a great piece of furniture!
    I love it when you find something old that can be repurposed and used everyday.
    love the story too.
    Sometimes all you have to do is ask.
    ;)
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was happy to give it a new home! Thanks for visiting Pat!!!

      Delete
  14. Melanie, I love it! What an awesome find. Great price and I am glad that you decided to leave her as is. She has such chippy charm!
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! She does have "chippy charm", love that term!! Thanks for visiting Jann!!!

      Delete

Thank you for visiting! Please leave me a comment, I would love to have a record of your visit! Anonymous comments will not be published!