Monday, June 3, 2013

Spring Renewal

This past winter seemed endless to me. It would not go away. Winter ignored the calendar and kept her icy fingers around us. Spring was welcomed, allergies and all. Please don’t get the idea that I welcome the oppressive heat and humidity that will arrive too soon and stay too long. Humidity and allergies  wear out their welcome before arrival like an unwelcome house guest. This particular year I needed spring and the renewal that comes with it.
This past week, I cleaned and put away my treasured coffee maker. That was sad, after all my coffee maker is there for me every morning. We are friends, and very good friends at that. I don’t have to make polite conversation with it, nor am I required to dress up for our morning meetings. It simply does the job of providing morning coffee for us. No conversation required. Now that the days are warmer, hot coffee is not appealing to us. Cold brewed coffee is the warm weather choice at our house. Kevin does not appreciate coffee in any form on warm mornings, preferring iced tea instead. Meaning that the cold brew is all mine!
Cold brew is deliciously smooth and easy to make, be forewarned that it is high octane. The only problem is that it makes me forget my real age, I feel years younger. That would be great except the idea that I can do anything forms in my head. I grab my pen and paper and start the list for today. It is ambitious and daring. Mid morning I am still going strong and ready for anything, crossing items off the list as completed. Lunchtime rolls around and the energy is still there. My mind believes that my body is the age I wish it was and can tackle anything. Reality and mid afternoon occur, slowing me down. My coffee jolt, like this past endless winter is gone.
Spring has happened here. The plants and trees have bloomed, and the allergies did not skip us this year. Spring renewal happened.  My life is different this year, someone is missing.  Spring brings the bittersweet reminder that change happens, the good and the bad. It reminds me that out of the cold and dead of winter, fresh new life occurs. It reminds me that joy comes in the morning.


10 comments:

  1. As much as I love coffee- I just can't do it iced. I love my hot coffee year round. Hope you have a wonderful week!!!! xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL!! Can't drink it hot in the summer, too much heat for me. Thanks for visiting Diana!!!

      Delete
  2. That's too funny. Our granddaughter informed me that you must drink hot drinks in the winter and cold drinks in the summer. I guess I am a rebel. Hot coffee first thing in the morning, and then again about 1 in the afternoon. I may switch to iced tea for the afternoons when it gets really hot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing wrong with that Nonnie! I salute all of the serious coffee drinkers out there! Wish that I had your ability to drink the delicious beverage hot in the summer! Thanks for visiting Nonnie!!!

      Delete
  3. Hi Melanie, Hope you have a good summer...Connie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Connie! Thanks for visiting!!!

      Delete
  4. I like coffee--but I love iced tea! I drink it all year round--Christmas morning you will find me with an iced tea! This time of year I drink so much I have to switch to caffeine free after the first pot or two :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's funny Sandy, we drink iced tea year round here too, in addition to the coffee in the morning! Have tried the caffeine free tea and it seems to have a different taste. Maybe I used the wrong brand? Thanks for visiting Sandy!!!

      Delete
  5. Melanie!
    I loved reading this post.
    I sometimes think HOT COFFEE IN THE SUMMER TIME IS OVERKILL! But old winter habits die hard...so I make it; and I drink it. But I long for a large glass of sweet iced-tea!
    Which btw...we drink year round also...but to replace the hot coffee, that would be great in my book.
    I hope you have joy and peace as the seasons change and the summer time comes...and you go through your year of 'firsts'...after losing your Daddy.
    blessings, friend.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankk you Pat! I am glad to know that you enjoyed it!! Now honestly, iced tea is good anytime, I can't blame you at all for wanting to drink it in the morning!

      Thank you friend, your comments are always the words of a precious friend! Thank you again and thanks for visiting!!!

      Delete

Thank you for visiting! Please leave me a comment, I would love to have a record of your visit! Anonymous comments will not be published!